Subwoofer set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crankinstein

Reaction score
Not to high-jack the thread, but I just converted my truck from Uni-sound to surround (only 1 of four speakers still worked when I bought it) and installed a new Sony GTX550UI head unit. I am happy to have four working speakers, but will eventually want to install a simple sub & amp to round things out.

I do still need my back seat and have no plans of removing the tool kit...does anyone have a sub under just the driverside? If so, where did you mount your amp? And I'm thining a 10" should suffice, what size amp should I be looking for?

TIA.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I have a small amp under the passenger's side rear seat. My rear seat is a 60/40 bench, so the tools are still under the large part. Then I put a sub under my passenger's seat.

Here's the build for my under seat box.

Ok, here's the measurements.
If you're looking at it from the top, this would be the back. v
attachment.php

This would be the front. ^

The height is 4" total, so the pieces of wood were cut 3", since it's 1/2" thick, so it accounted for the top and bottom pieces. Here's the pics, you can see how that spring goes right along that angled edge. However, the spring does move based on the placement of the seat, so this box would need you to put your seat in the same place.

You must be registered for see images attach

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to high-jack the thread, but I just converted my truck from Uni-sound to surround (only 1 of four speakers still worked when I bought it) and installed a new Sony GTX550UI head unit. I am happy to have four working speakers, but will eventually want to install a simple sub & amp to round things out.

I do still need my back seat and have no plans of removing the tool kit...does anyone have a sub under just the driverside? If so, where did you mount your amp? And I'm thining a 10" should suffice, what size amp should I be looking for?

TIA.

You can find several enclosures that will fit under the rear seat on the drivers side. Just Google "Chevy truck subwoofer box" or something similar. They also sell them at subthump, probox, hifisoundconnection, etc.....

As far the amp you can mount it under one of the seats or make an amp rack and mount it on the back of the cab behind the rear seat.

For the amp you just want to match the RMS output of the amp to the RMS rating of the sub.

Tyler09

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a 96 sierra ex cab and plan on doing one 12" CVX, does anyone have measurements on there boxes that sit flush? im planning on doing the box across the whole back seat and having the sub mounted behind the driver seat.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally decided to use my left over sub from my old system in my truck. I have one of them & the Zapco amp that use to drive both in my TA right now. So I have one left over. I was thinking about saving it since I had a custom box built in my TA for the single 10, that way I'd have a good back-up incase I ever needed to replace the sub. But its been goin strong for about 6yrs now so I'm gonna say it'll be fine, LOL.

Its a little discontinued 10" Pioneer TS-W255DVC (dual 4ohm), 700w max. They sound really good in a sealed box & respond from I believe 18-2500 htz, only require 1cuft airspace too, so perfect for under the back seat in the extended cab. I still need to get some measurements so I can start designing the box. Not sure what amp I'll put on it. I'm just gonna do this, a set of Pioneer door speakers & headunit. I dont wanna go overboard on the truck, just want better sound than stock.

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah, especially for how big it is. Definitely happy with it. Do you have one in your new truck?

sweet man... glad it worked out!

I have two 10" Alpine Type S under the rear seat... i miss my deck that i installed in the yukon though :(