Suburban & Tahoe Rear Pillar Door Lock Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicksmurf111

Reaction score
Hi, first post here, so I hope this hasn't been covered a million times before. Does anyone know about the rear pillar door lock switch. I've owned a '97 Tahoe that has a door lock switch on the passenger side rear pillar, next to the hatch. I went out of my way to purchase a '96 Suburban with a hatch because I liked the hatch so much. It does not have the lock switch. Was it an option in 96, or a new feature in 97? Is there a wire in the rear that I can tap into if I was to purchase the interior piece from the scrap yard? Just noticing this after putting speakers in, replacing the engine and beginning to drive it...easy trucks to work on and never had a reason to join here yet!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you talking about fold down tailgate or the twin doors, barn doors. Hatchback is usually single large door and glass opening up toward roof.
My 98 tahoe has rear doors and door lock/ unlock switch on right rear pillar.
It's not a hatch. It's a tailgate. Just like the trucks. It's not a car. It's built on a truck frame.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Woops, I meant tailgate. I put a bathtub in it today and it slid right in. Love these things.

Was the rear switch an option? I was surprised when I realized it wasn't there on the 96.
Not sure, both my 99 barn door Burbs have that switch, and that's the extent of my 400 series SUV experience ( on that area anyway).
Edit: I just checked my VIN report, and there's no mention of that item as an option. So it was standard on barn door Burbs in '99 at least. Trying to get rid of the extra parts they wouldn't use on the new models, I imagine. I know our 06 Yukon XL Denali with lift gate doesn't have a switch like this ( but it doesn't have a keyhole in the lock button on the gate either).

Last edited:

nicksmurf111

Reaction score
I'd really like to know how to tap into the nearest wire...I can get a rear pillar just about anywhere. Running 3 wires to the front passenger door doesn't sound fun. I ran my rear speaker wires on the driver side. Oh well. Maybe I can get the 96 wireless entry to work. I was able to program my 97 (different key fob) quite effortlessly.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure, both my 99 barn door Burbs have that switch, and that's the extent of my 400 series SUV experience ( on that area anyway).
Edit: I just checked my VIN report, and there's no mention of that item as an option. So it was standard on barn door Burbs in '99 at least. Trying to get rid of the extra parts they wouldn't use on the new models, I imagine. I know our 06 Yukon XL Denali with lift gate doesn't have a switch like this ( but it doesn't have a keyhole in the lock button on the gate either).
My 01 Yukon XL had the switch back there, my 05 does not. Somewhere in between those two they quit....

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My 01 Yukon XL had the switch back there, my 05 does not. Somewhere in between those two they quit....
Good to know! I wish the square body Burbs we had, had that switch, saves time getting in the truck and getting it open. Handy when you go somewhere, the weather is good,and you come out and it's raining ( gotta love Houston!).

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the rear door pillar switch only installed when equipped with rear cargo doors ( barn doors) ?