Suburban NV4500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed. What this transmission really is, is a heavy duty 4 speed overdrive, as 1st gear is hardly ever used. It's durable though and should stand up to a heavy vehicle with a reasonable amount of power.

$23/qt, on amazon, but with kind of a ridiculous lead time, which seems suspicious. Last time I needed some I just bought it at the local dealer for the same price... but that was around oh, 14 years ago. Some places I've found it listed say it's discontinued. I haven't looked further into it just yet but now that I own another truck with the NV4500 it must be time to dig deeper.

Richard
I ordered this from Amazon last year when I did my swap, seems to be the correct stuff and haven’t had any issues after a few thousand miles. I agree the long wait time now is odd

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12346190 superseded by 19369226 which has also been discontinued. JFC ...

Richard
Yep, was the same thing I found an all my research lead to the Redline being the best current option. Seems to be doing good for the 2-300 or so miles I've put on it so far.
I've swapped a nv3500 into a NBS suburban, I know the 3500 gets crap for being weak but have had no issues for 20k miles.

I never clutch dump it but I will lay into it once it's in gear, and also I went with the 3500 cause it's a much better trans for a driver VS the 4500

I dig the swap, just do what you like, you the one enjoying it
I have an S10 NV3500 in my C10 for about 7 yrs now an it's great. Granted the thing only makes about 300 hp but it's geared decent an shifts good for a truck trans. Worlds different than the 4500. I like the S10 version ratios for more spirited driving. They are just as strong as the full size version just not such big drop between 1st an 2nd so you stay in the meaty part of the torque curve for a better overall feel. It gets a bad reputation but if you use it within its limits it is a good trans.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, was the same thing I found an all my research lead to the Redline being the best current option. Seems to be doing good for the 2-300 or so miles I've put on it so far.

I have an S10 NV3500 in my C10 for about 7 yrs now an it's great. Granted the thing only makes about 300 hp but it's geared decent an shifts good for a truck trans. Worlds different than the 4500. I like the S10 version ratios for more spirited driving. They are just as strong as the full size version just not such big drop between 1st an 2nd so you stay in the meaty part of the torque curve for a better overall feel. It gets a bad reputation but if you use it within its limits it is a good trans.
Correct and the shifter location if further back on the s10 also, but that and the ratio is the only difference

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct and the shifter location if further back on the s10 also, but that and the ratio is the only difference
In 98 the S10 shifter moved back. If you can get a 96/97 one you get the same location and the internal slave. IIRC it's only about 3" difference between them. Any 96+ is the best one to get as they are the strongest. I'd avoid anything older from either a full size or S10.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
88863349 however the price on it is astronomical @$90.74/qt
$75 at amazon currently, $50 at GMPD (+19.36 shipping to my address, so pretty much $70), and $51 at GM Parts Giant - BUT - "Currently Unavailable - Due to manufacturer supply shortage, this item isn’t currently available for ordering."

Unreal.

Richard

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 98 the S10 shifter moved back. If you can get a 96/97 one you get the same location and the internal slave. IIRC it's only about 3" difference between them. Any 96+ is the best one to get as they are the strongest. I'd avoid anything older from either a full size or S10.
Absolutely mine came from a 97 98 obs, guy had it in a Sonoma that he ls Swapped and once he added the turbo the clutch would slip when it built boost so he pulled it for a powerglide, been a good trans probably wouldn't survived if he ever clutch dumped it lol