Suburban NV4500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koerbs

Reaction score
Getting ready to swap an NV4500 into my suburban. I know opinions are all over the place on this topic, so I get all that.

Just looking to see who on here has swapped a manual transmission into their suburban. The pickups and 2door suvs had them as opinions, but the 400 suburbans never did, so I think it's going to be pretty cool, especially behind that nasty LS3/525.

I ordered a centerforce DF997997 for it, hopefully it'll be fun to rip around in.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Opinions are like.. ya know.

Whether the NV4500 is a good choice for your Suburban comes down ultimately to who's going to be driving it, and that's you, so if you want it you want it.

I'd take issue with your choice of gear oil for it, though. People will argue this one to the death "I've been using (whichever brand) and haven't had problems" but in this case they're not the ones paying for your transmission and labor. I'd use the GM specified lube, #12346190.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Getting ready to swap an NV4500 into my suburban. I know opinions are all over the place on this topic, so I get all that.

Just looking to see who on here has swapped a manual transmission into their suburban. The pickups and 2door suvs had them as opinions, but the 400 suburbans never did, so I think it's going to be pretty cool, especially behind that nasty LS3/525.

I ordered a centerforce DF997997 for it, hopefully it'll be fun to rip around in.

Talk to @jjester6000 , he just did this in his Burb. '98 but he's backdated it to a '93 front end.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4500 is not a "sporty" trans at all. You can't really speed shift it, 1st is wound out at 10 mph an basically useless for a driver. It'll work but I'm not sure it will meet your expectations if you're leaning toward a sport truck vibe.

As to the oil the factory GM/dodge/castrol stuff is hard to find. When I recently replaced mine i used RedLine MT85, it's the closest readily available fluid for them. I believe there was a chart I saw on Bob is the oil guy breaking down all the specs on the factory oil an other recommend oils for it. The MT85 was really close but not exact. All others including Amsoil fell way short....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
4500 is not a "sporty" trans at all. You can't really speed shift it, 1st is wound out at 10 mph an basically useless for a driver. It'll work but I'm not sure it will meet your expectations if you're leaning toward a sport truck vibe.
Agreed. What this transmission really is, is a heavy duty 4 speed overdrive, as 1st gear is hardly ever used. It's durable though and should stand up to a heavy vehicle with a reasonable amount of power.

As to the oil the factory GM/dodge/castrol stuff is hard to find. When I recently replaced mine i used RedLine MT85, it's the closest readily available fluid for them. I believe there was a chart I saw on Bob is the oil guy breaking down all the specs on the factory oil an other recommend oils for it. The MT85 was really close but not exact. All others including Amsoil fell way short....
$23/qt, on amazon, but with kind of a ridiculous lead time, which seems suspicious. Last time I needed some I just bought it at the local dealer for the same price... but that was around oh, 14 years ago. Some places I've found it listed say it's discontinued. I haven't looked further into it just yet but now that I own another truck with the NV4500 it must be time to dig deeper.

Richard

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I somewhat abused nv4500 when had 97 454 crew cab and needed to get going quick. Towing a trailer take off in 1st almost wot and then shift to second which ended up with a good burnout while getting up to speed. But 2nd to 3rd then takes a moment. It survived. For heavy vehicle not much choice for manuals that can handle the load.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've swapped a nv3500 into a NBS suburban, I know the 3500 gets crap for being weak but have had no issues for 20k miles.

I never clutch dump it but I will lay into it once it's in gear, and also I went with the 3500 cause it's a much better trans for a driver VS the 4500

I dig the swap, just do what you like, you the one enjoying it

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

What year is your truck, that'll play into the ease of the clutch pedal installation a lot.

If it's a '95 and newer, it just bolts right in, but if it's older, it'll be more work.

Last edited: