Suburban fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim K

Reaction score
Has anyone eliminated the plastic fuel tank cover on their OBS suburban. I am replacing my tank because it rusted out under this cover. If so, will the original straps work?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sure, just may take a little more tightening. Hopefully you won't run out of threads on the "bolts" before they get tight. You may want to insulate the tank bottom/edges from the straps though. Pickups used a pad between the strap and tank; I can't recall for sure but I am vaguely recalling the Suburban did not because the plastic cover was there. Wouldn't want them to slowly rub through the steel.

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure, just may take a little more tightening. Hopefully you won't run out of threads on the "bolts" before they get tight. You may want to insulate the tank bottom/edges from the straps though. Pickups used a pad between the strap and tank; I can't recall for sure but I am vaguely recalling the Suburban did not because the plastic cover was there. Wouldn't want them to slowly rub through the steel.

Richard
Not sure on the Suburbans but the Express vans had both the plastic and sticky adhesive backed foam pads.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Richard

Did this change over the years? My 99 has pads on the top side of the tank, and the underside has a molded plastic cover with louvered vents/drains.

I actually just bought new tank pads, to have on hand, and I'm pretty sure they're smaller than my originals, unless maybe what I got is supposed to be on bottom?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did this change over the years? My 99 has pads on the top side of the tank, and the underside has a molded plastic cover with louvered vents/drains.

I actually just bought new tank pads, to have on hand, and I'm pretty sure they're smaller than my originals, unless maybe what I got is supposed to be on bottom?
Good point, maybe I should wake up more before I let my fingers get ahead of my brain. My "off nights" get my schedule so out of whack.. anyway excuses aside, you're right; there are pads on top of the tank and the bottom has the plastic cover.

I do stand by my advice though of putting some type of protective layer between the straps and tank, if one is going to be rid of the plastic cover. I do like Pinger's suggestion above about retaining the cover yet coating the tank first to protect it from rust. The only downside is that you still wouldn't know if it was rusting or not, with the cover in the way.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Good point, maybe I should wake up more before I let my fingers get ahead of my brain. My "off nights" get my schedule so out of whack.. anyway excuses aside, you're right; there are pads on top of the tank and the bottom has the plastic cover.

Working nights, can be such a pain. I work work a late 2nd, which is better than 3rd, but I'd really like to get home sooner, for a better sleep schedule. I often feel like I sleep my days off away.

I do stand by my advice though of putting some type of protective layer between the straps and tank, if one is going to be rid of the plastic cover. I do like Pinger's suggestion above about retaining the cover yet coating the tank first to protect it from rust. The only downside is that you still wouldn't know if it was rusting or not, with the cover in the way.

Richard

I found that my original tank had not rusted much under the plastic. Nothing leaking any way. The leak was at the port for the filler neck. I'm not so sure the replacement will hold up that well, Though. I considered coating it with something, but I was in a hurry. I wonder if the OP's cover lacks the louvers mine has. It can get wet, but can't hold onto the water. Maybe a few drain holes could be made.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I used either ¼" or ⅜" thick closed cell foam insulation tape where the straps were. Just make sure what you choose is pretty dense because it can tear. The stuff I used was for air conditioning systems...Waterproof so it can't absorb anything or get grit embedded into it.

My replacement tank I had for my 2-door ended up rotting out again in less than 5 years, (same size and location as the Suburban). I don't think the metal treatment/plating was as good as stock.

Jim K

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input. I think i am going to leave the cover off and insulate just the straps so I can keep an eye on the replacement tank.