Suburban Barn Door Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel like an idiot asking this question because I was a bodyman for around 14 years. I have replaced barn doors in the past, but it's been so long, I don't remember if there was a trick to it.

The hinges have a couple visible bolts on the body side, but iirc, they are welded to the body back in behind the taillight mount panel. Far as I know, the only way to properly remove the doors is to heat the hinges are press out the pins. Does GM still sell the greasable replacement pins and if not, does anyone else market them?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
From a 1998 manual...

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I don't currently have a paper version of the body book(volume 4 of the Chevy shop manual). Figured it had to be fairly straightforward, and it seems that's the case.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From a 1998 manual...

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Unfortunately, they don't come out nearly as easily as that manual makes it seem. Even back in the day before they were rusty.

I've already went at the pins with my air chisel, but with no heat. The air chisel has the balls, but the hinges were starting to deform and the pins weren't moving yet. I can heat them up (or even just cut the hinges) but I'm trying to remove them in the simplest manner so that my friend can also install the doors on his Burb. If blasting them with heat and hammering them out is the only way to go, that's what I'll do. Because doing that now will be much easier than my buddy having to do it later, on removed doors, to get sawed-off hinge pieces removed.