Stupid question for you guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the engine out of my truck a few weeks ago. I got around to getting the truck out of my garage today and what looks like a mounting bracket that broke off something was on the floor. See pic. Any idea what this broke off of? The hole is threaded about halfway in. Would it have broken off the block somewhere? I looked all around and can't see anywhere it broke off from so I thought I'd check in case anyone had an idea.

Attachments

• 20210808_152102.jpg
    20210808_152102.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210808_152112.jpg
    20210808_152112.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 32

Dennis Shirk

Reaction score
That is what I was worried about. That I broke something off of the block and I would need a new block.

The bolts to the trans go here and they look ok. I don't see anything broken on the bell housing. Hoping I am good then.

Attachments

• 350.JPG
    350.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 28

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look around carefully. It came from somewhere. First pic looks like trans case and block is missing alignment dowel on one side. Did you forget to take out one bolt before you started lifting the engine out?

Last edited:

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has, a
Look around carefully. It came from somewhere. First pic looks like trans case and block is missing alignment dowel on one side. Did you forget to take out one bolt before you started lifting the engine out?
I had all the bolts out for sure and in a bag. I found where it broke off from. It broke off the bell housing. Doh!!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'd need to take the trans, and the additional piece to a machine shop. They're the only ones who can answer that question.
We certainly can't weld it through the internets...

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats cast aluminum. A pretty difficult weld to begin with.
And it is highly likely that cracks radiated through the casting before that chunk broke off.
Aluminum castings do not like to bend.
If this was a big money racing transmission and I need a couple of more runs out of it.
I would pull the torque converter, stick a chunk of fire blanket inside the bellhousing, torque it back to the block then backgouge the hell out of the broken part and hope I could get at it with a spool gun after I preheated it and tried not to light myself on fire while I washed it down with acetone before each pass.
Aluminum instantly corrodes.
The minute air hits it
If It was a bone stock transmission that I just rebuilt, I would try to get a boneyard case and swap the parts.
It its a high miler?
It isnt worth what you will have to pay a good welder to try to fix it.
A good time to rip it down and learn how a transmission works.