stuff that catches my eye

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This was our there too but I think it's leaving with a new owner. These panels are pretty rare, especially the long wheelbase versions.
Cool panel. I'm pretty sure all the 67-72 panels are long wheelbase. In 60-66 you only got long wheelbase in the heavier models, 1 ton, not sure if 3/4 tons were made; as you noted, they're pretty rare. All the 1/2 ton 60-66 panels were short wheelbase.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Not about anything for sale, but this did catch my eye & thought that it would be worth sharing.
There's GMT400 probs listed that I never knew of, let alone considered when purchasing or even when maintaining.
I think that most of the recalls have probably timed-out out by now, but along with the known trouble spots, this kinda stuff should be on a semi-regular maintenance check-list for all 400 owners or potential purchasers.
Could save a lot of time & $$$ instead of chasing unknown gremlins.

For some reason, 88/89 trucks aren't included in the list.

TROUBLE SPOTS​

Automatic transmission
Description: Trucks with the 6.5L engine may have a transmission shudder when the torque-converter clutch applies and releases. (1991-94)
Automatic transmission
Description: 700-R4 automatic transmissions may shift late or not upshift at all. The problem is a stuck throttle valve inside the transmission. (1990-92)
Brake wear
Description: Vehicle pull or premature front brake pad wear, may be corrected with revised rear brake shoes. (1992-98)
Clutch
Description: A grinding noise during clutch engagement and difficulty shifting into first or reverse is caused by a clutch master cylinder pushrod that is too long. (1992-93)
Cruise control
Description: The cruise control cuts out and won’t reset unless the key is turned off because the cruise control module is too sensitive to vibrations at the brake pedal. (1994-95)
Engine knock
Description: Engine knock at startup on 4.3-, 5.7-, or 7.4-liter engines is usually eliminated by using an oil filter with a check valve. If this does not fix it, GM has revised PROMs for the computers and will even replace the main bearings if all else fails. (1990-95)
Engine misfire
Description: Damaged injection pump or lift pump on 6.5-liter diesel may clog the fuel filter. (1994-98)
Engine noise
Description: The exhaust valves on 4.3-, 5.0-, or 5.7-liter engines may not get enough lubrication causing a variety of noises. Usually, the same engine consumes excess oil because the valve-guide seals on the exhaust valves are bad and have to be replaced. (1996)

RECALL HISTORY​

1990 diesel
Description: Fuel lines can contact automatic-transmission linkage shaft and/or driveshaft.
Description: Brake-pedal pivot bolt could disengage.
1992 C/K 1500/2500/3500 Extended Cab w/high-back bucket seats
Description: Seat recliner-to-frame bolts can loosen, fatigue, and fracture, allowing seat back to recline suddenly.
Description: Reversed polarity of brake switch can cause contacts to wear prematurely; may result in loss of brake lights without warning.
Description: Some drivers’ seat floor & riser bolts could loosen.
Description: Brake-pedal retainer may be missing, misaligned, or poorly seated.
1994-95 extended-cab C/K 1500/2500/3500
Description: If lap- and shoulder-belt energy-management loops on front seat belt assemblies release at or near the same time, acceleration forces can cause release mechanism to activate and allow buckle to separate from latch. Also, a few trucks lack those loops.
1994-95 extended cab C/K 1500/2500/3500 w/high-back front bucket seats or 60/40 split bench seat
Description: Recliner-to-frame bolts could loosen, fatigue, and fracture, allowing seat back to recline suddenly.
1994-99 C/K 1500/2500/3500
Description: Wiper circuit board solder joints can crack, causing windshield wipers to work intermittently.
Description: Steering-column shaft nut could loosen and detach.
1995-99 w/gasoline engine
Description: Throttle cable may contact dash mat, which could bind the throttle; engine speed might then not return to idle.
1995-99 Extended Cab w/Easy Entry
Description: Pinch point in recliner mechanism can trap and pinch a person’s hand or fingers when Easy-Entry feature is activated.
1995-99 Crew Cab
Description: Front inner corner of fuel tank can contact body sill, wearing a hole in or cracking the tank; can result in fuel leakage.
1996 C/K 2500/3500 w/7.4-liter engine
Description: Fuel-rail assemblies may have improperly crimped end retainer clip that results in leak.
Description: Four U-bolts on either side of rear axle were under-torqued and could loosen and eventually fall off; could result in sudden loss of control.
1997 C/K 1500/2500/3500
Description: On some trucks, one or two front-seat mounting bolts were not installed.
1998 C/K 1500/2500/3500
Description: Steering-gear bolt can loosen and fall out, resulting in separation of shaft from gear.
Description: On some trucks, one or both front brake rotor/hubs may have out-of-spec gray iron that can fail prematurely.
Description: Rear brake line can contact left front-fender wheelhouse inner panel; a hole could be worn in brake line, allowing loss of fluid and reducing rear-brake effectiveness.
Description: On certain vehicles, the outside rear view mirror switch may short circuit. Dealer will inspect and replace affected parts.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not about anything for sale, but this did catch my eye & thought that it would be worth sharing.
There's GMT400 probs listed that I never knew of, let alone considered when purchasing or even when maintaining.
I think that most of the recalls have probably timed-out out by now, but along with the known trouble spots, this kinda stuff should be on a semi-regular maintenance check-list for all 400 owners or potential purchasers.
Could save a lot of time & $$$ instead of chasing unknown gremlins.

For some reason, 88/89 trucks aren't included in the list.

TROUBLE SPOTS​

Automatic transmission
Description: Trucks with the 6.5L engine may have a transmission shudder when the torque-converter clutch applies and releases. (1991-94)
Automatic transmission
Description: 700-R4 automatic transmissions may shift late or not upshift at all. The problem is a stuck throttle valve inside the transmission. (1990-92)
Brake wear
Description: Vehicle pull or premature front brake pad wear, may be corrected with revised rear brake shoes. (1992-98)
Clutch
Description: A grinding noise during clutch engagement and difficulty shifting into first or reverse is caused by a clutch master cylinder pushrod that is too long. (1992-93)
Cruise control
Description: The cruise control cuts out and won’t reset unless the key is turned off because the cruise control module is too sensitive to vibrations at the brake pedal. (1994-95)
Engine knock
Description: Engine knock at startup on 4.3-, 5.7-, or 7.4-liter engines is usually eliminated by using an oil filter with a check valve. If this does not fix it, GM has revised PROMs for the computers and will even replace the main bearings if all else fails. (1990-95)
Engine misfire
Description: Damaged injection pump or lift pump on 6.5-liter diesel may clog the fuel filter. (1994-98)
Engine noise
Description: The exhaust valves on 4.3-, 5.0-, or 5.7-liter engines may not get enough lubrication causing a variety of noises. Usually, the same engine consumes excess oil because the valve-guide seals on the exhaust valves are bad and have to be replaced. (1996)

RECALL HISTORY​

1990 diesel
Description: Fuel lines can contact automatic-transmission linkage shaft and/or driveshaft.
1992 C/K 1500/2500/3500 Extended Cab w/high-back bucket seats
Description: Seat recliner-to-frame bolts can loosen, fatigue, and fracture, allowing seat back to recline suddenly.
Description: Reversed polarity of brake switch can cause contacts to wear prematurely; may result in loss of brake lights without warning.
Description: Some drivers’ seat floor & riser bolts could loosen.
Description: Brake-pedal retainer may be missing, misaligned, or poorly seated.
1994-95 extended-cab C/K 1500/2500/3500
Description: If lap- and shoulder-belt energy-management loops on front seat belt assemblies release at or near the same time, acceleration forces can cause release mechanism to activate and allow buckle to separate from latch. Also, a few trucks lack those loops.
1994-95 extended cab C/K 1500/2500/3500 w/high-back front bucket seats or 60/40 split bench seat
Description: Recliner-to-frame bolts could loosen, fatigue, and fracture, allowing seat back to recline suddenly.
1994-99 C/K 1500/2500/3500
Description: Wiper circuit board solder joints can crack, causing windshield wipers to work intermittently.
Description: Steering-column shaft nut could loosen and detach.
1995-99 w/gasoline engine
Description: Throttle cable may contact dash mat, which could bind the throttle; engine speed might then not return to idle.
1995-99 Extended Cab w/Easy Entry
Description: Pinch point in recliner mechanism can trap and pinch a person’s hand or fingers when Easy-Entry feature is activated.
1995-99 Crew Cab
Description: Front inner corner of fuel tank can contact body sill, wearing a hole in or cracking the tank; can result in fuel leakage.
1996 C/K 2500/3500 w/7.4-liter engine
Description: Fuel-rail assemblies may have improperly crimped end retainer clip that results in leak.
Description: Four U-bolts on either side of rear axle were under-torqued and could loosen and eventually fall off; could result in sudden loss of control.
1997 C/K 1500/2500/3500
Description: On some trucks, one or two front-seat mounting bolts were not installed.
1998 C/K 1500/2500/3500
Description: Steering-gear bolt can loosen and fall out, resulting in separation of shaft from gear.
Description: On some trucks, one or both front brake rotor/hubs may have out-of-spec gray iron that can fail prematurely.
Description: Rear brake line can contact left front-fender wheelhouse inner panel; a hole could be worn in brake line, allowing loss of fluid and reducing rear-brake effectiveness.
Description: On certain vehicles, the outside rear view mirror switch may short circuit. Dealer will inspect and replace affected parts.
Thanks for all the info

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anybody remember this? Also was this badge ever produced publicly???

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Any info is really appreciated on the tahoe ss or tahoe 756..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104-170210_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-170210_YouTube.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 7

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just notified Chevrolet of my approval.
Lol... I want this badge so badly. Its not even a corvette emblem. The 1982 c3 corvette emblem was the closest , but still very different. I also wish we had the specs on the tahoe ss and z56. I read on other forums they had some cool stuff from the factory