Stuck steering wheel lock, can't turn key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look what the guy say and points out at 2.06 on the video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ya, that's what I was going by. The design changed a little with the nbs cylinder. Mine only has a single push point, shown by the yellow arrow in my first post. I tried pushing this in manually with a razor and that didn't help. The other video I went by for taking off the plastic pieces was

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya, that's what I was going by. The design changed a little with the nbs cylinder. Mine only has a single push point, shown by the yellow arrow in my first post. I tried pushing this in manually with a razor and that didn't help. The other video I went by for taking off the plastic pieces was
$225 poorer, but at least got a pair of new keys. Silver one's the original and the gold is new. So much more detail than the old key.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So did you replace the lock cylinder? The Keys look to have a similar profile other than the detail. I wonder if a key cut from the VIN to original specs would have solved the problem.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't replace the cylinder. He cut it to the original vin, and shaved the things that pop up when key isn't in. Price was comparable to several other places I was asking, but now I wonder if it would've been cheaper from the dealer. Knowing dealers, I'm guessing not.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I almost hate to say this, but my key was worn down pretty bad and I couldnt turn the lock cylinder..... I brought the title and registration down to the dealership, and the guy cut me the keys for free.... I couldnt believe it either..... on a side note, A new Lock cylinder is 23 bucks.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I almost hate to say this, but my key was worn down pretty bad and I couldnt turn the lock cylinder..... I brought the title and registration down to the dealership, and the guy cut me the keys for free.... I couldnt believe it either..... on a side note, A new Lock cylinder is 23 bucks.
Oof, well live and learn I guess. Funny enough this is the most expensive repair in the 2 years I've had the truck.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks for posting this! I have two keys for my Suburban, one is heavily used and the other is basically a brand new spare. It's amazing how much more worn down the more regularly used one is. Reminds me that I probably need to go get a spare cut for my red truck... Both of the keys I have for it have seen better days.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya doubt I'll wear out both the new keys, but only going to use one daily and keep the other as a master to cut new copies from.