Stuck steering wheel lock, can't turn key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't turn my key at all. Here's what I tried so far:

• Jiggling the key, while turning the wheel
  • Using a different key
  • Lubing the lock
  • Removing the upper and lower shrouds to push in the pin in the photo with a razor
  • Lubing it some more through the hole to release the cylinder
  • Tapping the key with a wooden block
Every guide I've seen online requires turning the key to start to push in the tab to remove the lock cylinder. Any other tips that might help?

You must be registered for see images attach

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried simply pulling hard on the steering wheel to see if it is just putting pressure on the lock pin?

Tried it just now, still no go. I'm guessing you mean pull the steering wheel toward me? I don't have a good idea how the steering wheel works.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try to turn the steering wheel either to the left or the right. It will most likely be completely locked up one way but will turn slightly the other. While the steering wheel is slightly turned rotate the key.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try to turn the steering wheel either to the left or the right. It will most likely be completely locked up one way but will turn slightly the other. While the steering wheel is slightly turned rotate the key.
There's a couple inches in either direction before it locks. I tried twisting the key at either side and also incrementally moving the wheel and twisting. Still no go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I had a lock cylinder that stopped functioning properly for me. It took a lot of jiggling to get it to cooperate to get home. Replaced the unit and zero problems.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Sometimes the plate that holds the springs and tumblers in place in the cylinder will fail or come loose and jam up the works. If you can't get it into the run position they usually have to be drilled out.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look what the guy say and points out at 2.06 on the video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media