Street Legal Rockwell build ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm not stuck, Its just I have come to think those are the best and that's what everyone always end up with who off roads.
I want a street legal rig because if the world ends I want to be driving my rig. That concept is the basis for my build, Example Hi fuel capacity, storage for tools/parts for field repairs and so on. As far as hard core wheeling I just want to be able to if I have to. I'm still trying to figure all the details out. In the end I want a fully off road capable truck but street legal. I'm having fun learning and not thinking about how hard it will be. If I need help there are some cool resources not to far away.

Ill try and post everything I want to accomplish with this build, I'm definitely stuck on getting certain results. As far the right parts to get there I am learning as go. Thanks for any ideas guys!
This is going to be my smart ass post......If this is what you want then buy the entire 2.5 ton military truck with the Continental multi-fuel engine. It runs on Diesel, Gas, Avgas, Biodiesel and drain oil. Perfect end of the world vehicle...And its got your prized Rockwells!!!!!

kmm2736

Reaction score
This is going to be my smart ass post......If this is what you want then buy the entire 2.5 ton military truck with the Continental multi-fuel engine. It runs on Diesel, Gas, Avgas, Biodiesel and drain oil. Perfect end of the world vehicle...And its got your prized Rockwells!!!!!

I found this:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/12029-multifuel-engine-life.html

That is a good idea, I found some for sale. But I still would want to put my exended cab on it and shorten the wheel base. I think they call it "bobbed" when you shorten the truck.

kmm2736

Reaction score
your extended cab is too small for the frame on those things unless you want it to look goofy

Hey Tyler,

In what way I have been waiting for it to stop raining to go take measurements with my bud. I know the c60 and m35 are way longer. I would need to shorten the wheel base up. I do not know about width though.

Thanks, kyle

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
this is just my observation, but rockwells stick past any stock truck alot, where as they dont in a military truck. so my guess would be the frame is that much wider

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
I found this:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/12029-multifuel-engine-life.html

That is a good idea, I found some for sale. But I still would want to put my exended cab on it and shorten the wheel base. I think they call it "bobbed" when you shorten the truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

I know alot about Rockwells.....I know alot of truck builders that know alot about Rockwells. There's a reason you dont see them on the street but if you know something that all of us that have first hand knowledge on Rockwells don't know, then please enlighten us. Hell, Stacey David built a truck with Rockwells for the street and it never gets driven, its a prop on his show. I'm really not trying to be a dick but your lack of off roading knowledge is very obvious. There is no good reason to run Rockwells on the street. The gearing sucks, the turning radius sucks, hydraulic steering on the road sucks, the brakes suck, affordable transfer case options suck. (The Rockwell has a centered pumpkin, you cant just use any stock transfer case)They are great for off road use where you aren't driving at highway speeds. You are talking about hacking together an unsafe truck for the sake of being big and the bragging rights to your buddies that you have Rockwells. But anyone that has dealt with Rockwells will point and laugh at you. So at this point I am done trying to help you understand the feat you think you can accomplish and thank my lucky stars you dont live in MN.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sgt. Rock isnt finished as far as I know an that's why it isn't driven.

Thats all I have to say, since I dont know anything about rockwells.

When its finished Stacy will drive it you guys know how he is....

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
yeah stacy for sure will. sgt. rock all his some big cube hemi in it so hell end up with **** mileage. sorry bud but your idea of rockwells and hacking your gmt400 frame on a bobbed duece isnt a very well thought out plan

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
I was under the impression it was finished since he started the build back in '05-'06. I dont watch his show often.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He works on it very infrequently, I believe it is a personal project like copperhead was.

That is one of the reasons he left trucks, most of the projects he worked on got crushed or sold....