Street Legal Rockwell build ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmm2736

Reaction score
HI,

I was planning on putting a set of 2 1/2 ton Rockwell’s under a 86 k-5 blazer. But I’m considering doing a SAS my 94 k1500 and the blazer is not going to be ready for a while. So Im really thinking of putting them under my truck. Most Rockwell Builds I see are OFF Road, I’m not sure what size lift and tire size I can get away with to keep it legal. I’m in the middle of a custom bumper/rear frame repair build to make it appear lower to the ground.

Any Input would be Great Thanks! Allot of Ideas I need to make sure I always have a street legal rig!

Ps. The Rockwell rims I have are 20 inch original Rockwell Rims (Non Modified)

TheBigMortboski

World's Tallest Midget
Reaction score
From everything I've heard about Maine vehicle laws, I thought almost any oversized wheels and tires were illegal.

kmm2736

Reaction score
Im dying to put the rockwells under somthing. I found a cool weld in replacment punkin cover to increase the ground clearance.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put em on the blazer and keep it for the woods, it will end up costing 4x to make it "street legal" and even then it wont be fun or safe.

kmm2736

Reaction score
I have been brain storming like crazy and I was talking to my buddy today and we came up with a sweet idea!! It is to take the frame from a C60 and Take my GTM400 Ext. Cab and put it on the C60 Frame and Use the Vin From the C60 Cab and swap it on the GMT Cab. I would use the 6.2 Engine and trany from the blazer with a 203 t-case( i was told it be a good option). If I can register it as a 2 1/2 ton C60 that would solve all my ground clearance issues and leave me with a wicked rig!?

Any Thoughts please...Thanks!

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Not to be negative but the C60 idea sounds like a huge hack job. The C60 body is based on the OOBS body and older. Also the reason you don't see many on road Rockwell swaps is because of the cost to make it safe and legal will cost way more then a good built Dana 60. Even if you have Rockwells its still cheaper to build the Dana 60. What is involved to make Rockwells street legal. First you will have to have them narrowed because they are roughly 20 inches wider than any axle you will find under a stock truck. After that you will have to consider the brake system. The pinion brake will not handle on road use and disk brake conversions will run you about 1300 per axle. http://www.redbarncustoms.net/2_5_TON__BRAKES.html. Still interested in the Rockwells? Because theres more......Gearing, Rockwells have a 6.72 ratio. Pretty steep for a street driven truck. Then theres the steering which is a bit more involved because of the size of tires you need to run. I'm not even going to go into your engine choice because even the best 6.2 diesel was a waste of iron.

Last edited:

kmm2736

Reaction score
Not to be negative but the C60 idea sounds like a huge hack job. The C60 body is based on the OOBS body and older. Also the reason you don't see many on road Rockwell swaps is because of the cost to make it safe and legal will cost way more then a good built Dana 60. Even if you have Rockwells its still cheaper to build the Dana 60. What is involved to make Rockwells street legal. First you will have to have them narrowed because they are roughly 20 inches wider than any axle you will find under a stock truck. After that you will have to consider the brake system. The pinion brake will not handle on road use and disk brake conversions will run you about 1300 per axle. http://www.redbarncustoms.net/2_5_TON__BRAKES.html. Still interested in the Rockwells? Because theres more......Gearing, Rockwells have a 6.72 ratio. Pretty steep for a street driven truck. Then theres the steering which is a bit more involved because of the size of tires you need to run. I'm not even going to go into your engine choice because even the best 6.2 diesel was a waste of iron.

Hi Man thanks for responding! I thought 2 1/2 tons were a option for the C60 stock built from the factory? For the body I was thinking since the frame is built straight I could shorten to get what ever wheel base I want and fab up a way to mount the cab on proper. And I would use Vin from the C60 cab that I would scrap and put that Vin along with my 94 ext. cab on the c60 frame to have a 2 1/2 ton registered and sticker-ed truck. For steering I'm still figuring it out but if the C60 came with 2 1/2 tons it should not be that bad or unsafe. I'm thinking a crossover set up with a heavy duty steering box.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
GM never had a 4x4 option in anything bigger then a 1ton. There was a conversion available through Napco and Marmon Herrington. The conversions uses a narrower axle and better gear ratios. You also have to remember the width, these axles are just as wide as the body itself. The steering will not be as easy as you think either. A converted C60 will usually run a standard 11R22.5 tire, which is tall and narrow. Narrow is easier to turn then a wide tire so you will need some sort of hydraulic ram assist. Also your truck will be considered a commercial vehicle and will have more strict inspections. And also being titled as a C60 you will have huge insurance and licensing costs. But if you are dead set on this you will be greatly disappointed in the 6.2 diesel. That engine only produces 143hp and 254ft/lbs of torque. You will have a 6.72 gear ratio. Which doing the math with a 44" tire and a TH400 you will run about 3360 rpm with an engine that only revs 3600. I have had a hand in building numerous off road trucks using Rockwells. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this setup. Like I said, there's a reason you don't see Rockwells on the street.