Street Legal Rockwell build ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmm2736

Reaction score
Hey Super,
I thank you again for your responses. I think I need to be clearer in what I am trying to accomplish. I want to build a all around big off road on road rig. The 6.2 I have is the (army): 165 hp (123 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 330 lb•ft (447 N•m) @ 2,100 rpm. For the time being its either that engine or the 5.7 - 350 V8 stock in my 94 k1500. My goal with this idea was to build a street legal, full off road overkill truck.
I'm looking to the insurance thing man I did not think of that..good thinking man. thanks!
I'm new to the truck world and learning about gearing and engines. In the future I could upgrade engine but my build concept is easy repair and big and simple.
Thanks, kyle

GM never had a 4x4 option in anything bigger then a 1ton. There was a conversion available through Napco and Marmon Herrington. The conversions uses a narrower axle and better gear ratios. You also have to remember the width, these axles are just as wide as the body itself. The steering will not be as easy as you think either. A converted C60 will usually run a standard 11R22.5 tire, which is tall and narrow. Narrow is easier to turn then a wide tire so you will need some sort of hydraulic ram assist. Also your truck will be considered a commercial vehicle and will have more strict inspections. And also being titled as a C60 you will have huge insurance and licensing costs. But if you are dead set on this you will be greatly disappointed in the 6.2 diesel. That engine only produces 143hp and 254ft/lbs of torque. You will have a 6.72 gear ratio. Which doing the math with a 44" tire and a TH400 you will run about 3360 rpm with an engine that only revs 3600. I have had a hand in building numerous off road trucks using Rockwells. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this setup. Like I said, there's a reason you don't see Rockwells on the street.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Ok, being new this is defiantly not something you want to try to accomplish. You will learn you cant have the best of both worlds when it comes to on road and off road. The amount of fab work and the fact that you just cant pick up Rockwell parts up at your local parts store does not mean its easy, or simple to repair. Rockwells do break!!! But you got the big part. With either engine you have your truck will be slow, it will not have power. To have any fun using Rockwells you need high revving engine. Your truck will actually be slower then the 2.5 ton truck the axles originally came out of. I have a buddy that specializes in Rockwell parts. His name is Randy Ouverson http://www.ouversonusa.com/index.html. His stuff is found in lots of big name off road and monster trucks.

kmm2736

Reaction score
Ok, being new this is defiantly not something you want to try to accomplish. You will learn you cant have the best of both worlds when it comes to on road and off road. The amount of fab work and the fact that you just cant pick up Rockwell parts up at your local parts store does not mean its easy, or simple to repair. Rockwells do break!!! But you got the big part. With either engine you have your truck will be slow, it will not have power. To have any fun using Rockwells you need high revving engine. Your truck will actually be slower then the 2.5 ton truck the axles originally came out of. I have a buddy that specializes in Rockwell parts. His name is Randy Ouverson http://www.ouversonusa.com/index.html. His stuff is found in lots of big name off road and monster trucks.

Hey man, that website is sweet. I have slowed down for the present time on my projects. I need to brain storm and do more research. What engine should I look for, I have access to a sweet auto salvage yard plenty of big old trucks, I dont know whats worth restoring and whats not at this point for an engine.

Thanks, kyle

kmm2736

Reaction score
Put em on the blazer and keep it for the woods, it will end up costing 4x to make it "street legal" and even then it wont be fun or safe.

Hi Mike,

I was looking at you site, sounds sweet allot of sweet services. Once I figure out exactly what i want to do. It would be sweet to go over it. I'm in concord pretty often and could even make a trip down.

Thanks, Kyle

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Seriously I would rethink the Rockwells. The parts in that website are for off road only so if you think you can run the 8 lug brakes on the street you will be in for a surprise. The guys I know that are running them are in the 600-800 hp range with big blocks. Budgets in the 10's of thousands. They are hard core mud trucks. I did build a truck for a guy, Rockwells, 44's and a stock 440 and it fell flat on its face. But no matter what I say at this point is not going to do any good since you seem to be stuck on the Rockwells.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait.....why do you want a street legal rockwell rig?!?!!? Thats something you put onto a trailer and take to the trails, besides, if you want to build something this huge you must be into some very hardcore wheeling. If you break the rig while wheeling, how you going to get it home?? If you want to rockcrawl, youre gonna need some huge tires to keep the axles off the rocks, a huge t-case to take the strain of such a huge rig and a huge engine to get the whole thing rolling. This is a huge undertaking thats going to take some very hardcore parts, custom fab and some very high welding/fabbing/mechanical skills. I dont mean to piss in your corn flakes, but man, this is a huge undertaking. THis isnt as simple as a stuffing a dana 60 or 44 under the front end, this is a entire rebuild.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Very wise advice here!!!!! rep added.

kmm2736

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm not stuck, Its just I have come to think those are the best and that's what everyone always end up with who off roads.
I want a street legal rig because if the world ends I want to be driving my rig. That concept is the basis for my build, Example Hi fuel capacity, storage for tools/parts for field repairs and so on. As far as hard core wheeling I just want to be able to if I have to. I'm still trying to figure all the details out. In the end I want a fully off road capable truck but street legal. I'm having fun learning and not thinking about how hard it will be. If I need help there are some cool resources not to far away.

Ill try and post everything I want to accomplish with this build, I'm definitely stuck on getting certain results. As far the right parts to get there I am learning as go. Thanks for any ideas guys!

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm not stuck, Its just I have come to think those are the best and that's what everyone always end up with who off roads.
I want a street legal rig because if the world ends I want to be driving my rig. That concept is the basis for my build, Example Hi fuel capacity, storage for tools/parts for field repairs and so on. As far as hard core wheeling I just want to be able to if I have to. I'm still trying to figure all the details out. In the end I want a fully off road capable truck but street legal. I'm having fun learning and not thinking about how hard it will be. If I need help there are some cool resources not to far away.

Ill try and post everything I want to accomplish with this build, I'm definitely stuck on getting certain results. As far the right parts to get there I am learning as go. Thanks for any ideas guys!

Why do you care if it's legal to drive if the world ends? Worried the high patrol is going to be ticketing in the vent of an apocalypse?

I'd echo a lot of what's already in here, 2.5t top loaders are kind of limited trick pony. You can build wheel brakes for a lot cheaper than the kits sell for but you need the skill to do it or some really nice friends who do. The top loader part and a truck base means a lot of lift to keep them out of the oil pan. Depending on what wheel joints your steer axle has they range from decent to weak for the tires you usually end up with an axle that heavy.

I'll never have a 2.5t in my Chevy or the next incarnation. They're far from the end all, they just offer a decent amount of strength for the cost considering the current surplus.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
im so confused by what the goal of this thread is
to start with neither engine you want is going to be sufficient to move your truck with rockwells. rockwells themselves are huge. not sure if youve ever seen any but the pig on them is giant and your tires will likely stick past any road lanes pretty much maknig it illegal. i think your going overkill and not really thinking any of this through to be quite honest. if you were gonna make a mud truck and want that much relaibility then go for the rockwells but you arent taking it on the street after. a dana 44 or 60 will give you enough