Stock Radio W/ Bluetooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of money just to get bluetooth functionality. The sound quality should be better in your current alpine, and you'll have much less power if you switch back, is this something you're ok with? If you want to have the stock look, you could remote install a tiny head unit and put a dummy stock unit in place hooked to power so it shows the time...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to replace the Alpine anyways as it's starting to have some issues and the buttons are worn off to where you can't see what they are for. I'm just trying to decide if I should get a newer head unit, or revert back. I'm not too concerned with the power to be honest. The truck isn't my daily and I'm not as interested in a powerful system as I once was.

I do agree though. It seems like an awful amount to spend on a stock radio with Bluetooth. I guess maybe I'm just looking for someone to talk me out of it and just stick with what I have. Haha

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got this one for my 1997 k1500:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX702/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X702.html

I got this one for my daily driver (2008 Dodge Caliber):
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS620BT/Sony-MEX-GS620BT.html

Two different units perfect for 2 different builds.

I got the kenwood from a reputable local shop for $160 out the door with harness and taxes paid. I wouldn't pay almost twice as much to go through Ebay for a stock stereo that was refurbished and modified by a company I don't know, and doesn't produce the quality or the power. You probably don't need a powerful stereo, but you're used to having that power and sound quality, I'd be willing to bet you'd miss it if you went back.

Of the two I posted, they both have benefits and drawbacks, the sony connects to bluetooth much faster (5 seconds vs maybe 10-15 for the kenwood? Haven't timed it, just estimating) but the kenwood looks much better. Nothing special when it's off and the screen doesn't wash out in sunlight as easy. Both have RGB and can be matched to interior lights so it looks "stock" to the random passerby. They both produce the same audio quality, roughly. You won't notice the difference in quality without an amp in my opinion. Of course there's much cheaper units with bluetooth if that's the only thing on your list, my daily has a full system, and I'm putting one in the truck next month, I want the quality so I don't get noise when I amp the sound.

Maybe the stock look is important enough to pay the premium, I can't make that decision for you. What I can say is you can get better sound, and bluetooth functionality for a lot less money.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone is quick to bash the sound quality of the factory Delco units, but the truth is they actually have more output power available than most aftermarket head units and better sound quality as well. He hasn't been around much lately but there was a user here who posted test results from a factory head unit out of one of these trucks and the numbers were damn good. I'd definitely try one of these if the stock look is important to you but you'd like bluetooth streaming.

Fishboyidaho

Reaction score
I would just upgrade the whole dash with a metra kit
You must be registered for see images

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
You guys don't delete the radio and just listen to the sweet, sweet sound of that roaring V8 pumping out endless notes of pure American freedom?

/s

Reaction score
I have a few of their units in my trucks, one with Bluetooth/cd/aux and two with just cd/aux. both work well and still have all their functions/lights after 3+years(Bluetooth one is only a year old). Bluetooth comes in clear, aux input is a little muffled

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks right, but the compatibility chart says it doesn't fit, I tried several different configurations. The price really isn't that bad for a direct fit, if it really is.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It looks right, but the compatibility chart says it doesn't fit, I tried several different configurations. The price really isn't that bad for a direct fit, if it really is.

Those eBay fitment charts are 99% crap. Same as Amazon. Don't trust them.