Stock door speakers louder then New

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Amp.

Your hu will put out a low voltage signal through the rca.

The amp takes that preout signal and amplifies it.

Much easier to change out an amp in the future to upgrade.

Now, if you have modest plans for your audio, you might not want to go through the wiring and mounting issues with an external amp.

You're only going to get so much drive out of a hu though.

I would recommend you go check out a few mobile audio forums before spending more cash.

:)

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
My overall objective is to make these 4 speakers sound great. The 4x6s sound fine its just my JLs

All 4x6 speakers suck from what I am told. So that is why I replaced mine with scosche speakers. They are only rated for 10-30w rms which puts me at a hood spot for my sony hu w/o an amp. They sound pretty good. Now if I would have hacked and installed my 6'5 jl speakers I would have ran an amp to them. So I bought that $20 scosche speaker box and ran my amp to that and my sub.
Maybe this will help you.

Sent from Robland

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
A 4ch. would be better, as you would be dialing down the amplifier to the 2 amped speakers so that they wouldn't be overpowering the non-amped ones, pretty well negating the advantage of the amp.
...and yea, 4X6's aren't the best speakers. Speakers should be round.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If you're going to mix 2 and 4 ohm speakers on the same amp, make sure it is 2 ohm stable.

The Ohm rating is the impedance the speaker presents to the amp. For a given output, a 2 ohm speaker will be "louder" than a 4 ohm.

There's no free lunch though: the lower the impedance the higher the current draw, the higher the draw the more heat the amplifier makes and has to shed.

I'd recommend you ditch the 2 ohm speakers as 4 ohm is more or less the consumer industry standard. Then your rear will match the impedance load presented to the amp from the fronts and the current draw and heat will be less. Important for long life of audio components.

Non round speakers (IE: 4x6, etc) sound just fine in a regularly driven rig, There's some argument about them over rounds, but the difference is so small (if it exists at all) you will never know it.

Don't bother with a "Cap"....you don't need one for system performance if your supply is up to *****. They sure do look purdy though....:)

Last edited:

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay so this is everything that i have put in.

Head unit: Sony CDX-GT450U out power power 52Wx4

Door Speakers: JL Audio TR650-CXi: Continuous Power Handling 50w
: Recommended Amp Power: 10-75W per channel
: Nominal Impedance: 4ohm
: Frequency Response:59Hz-22KHz 3dB

Rear 4x6 Speakers: JBL GTO6427: Power Handling 40W RMS, 120w peak
: Impedance 2ohms
: Frequency response 75Hz-21kHz

After putting the Specs in a can see that i probably need an amp put in

the biggest reason your 6.5's sound quiet is your 4x6's are 2ohm.

To break that down to simpler terms, the 6.5's require basically twice the power to put out the same volume

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Don't bother with a "Cap"....you don't need one for system performance if your supply is up to *****. They sure do look purdy though....:)

1200 watts in my '98. NO cap!
A little bit of overkill for this old fart! A project that got outa hand! Every time I re-did it, it got bigger & bigger! It was originally only gonna be around 600-750 watts.
But because I went to larger cables than what was recommended from the get-go, the 'upgrades' were possible without having to rewire the whole system.
It does get cranked, but not as much as it used to! Wired all power supply with 4ga.
140 amp alternator, although that's also overkill. My lights don't pulse to the beat. Same battery for 6 years.
I AM getting to the limit of that size wire, though. I'm calling the system 'done'! (Maybe!)
The speakers are all 4 ohm, except for the sub. It's a 10" DVC, with it's own dedicated amp. Wired to 2 ohms.
...and yea, the round/oval speaker argument is moot with smaller systems.

I'd recommend picking up a wiring kit, the next size up than what the system requires. If you 'just' need 8ga., get the 4ga. kit.
Use the same size of wire, if not larger, for the ground(s)

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/3200/nosubbt5.jpg
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142PA8/EFX-8-gauge-Amplifier-Wiring-Kit.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120RCA174/T-Spec-4-Channel-RCA-Patch-Cable.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMS/T-Spec-GM-Post-Standard-Battery-Terminal.html?tp=268]
http://www.crutchfield.com/Learn/learningcenter/car/amplifier_installation_guide.html