stock bumper modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm torn in so many direction over things to do to the truck then I had this idea....why not just build off the stock bumper??

I'd like a fabbed bumper but along with the added weight there is the cost. I dont have a shop to work in or my own welder so projects like this usually cost me some outta pocket. So in a effort to get what I want while also minimizing cost I had a idea.

Has anyone made a grill guard, minus the headlight grills on the stock bumper? I'd like to add a few off road lights up front but dont want them blocking my grill, I got an idea from a pic I found searching on here of another members truck where he just welded a bar support off the center of the front bumper & mounted (4) lights. I know most guys only mount (2) lights inside the grill guard if its a aftermarket guard.

I was also leaning towards this cause I'd like to retain my stock tow hooks which have to go away with a bolt on grill guard. So I got to thinking why not just have (2) plates cut like the side pieces in all the aftermarket guards & then get (2) pieces of 2" pipe to run between them? Then you can set your width of the guard yourself. Then add the light bar of desired length centered in the bumper or the guard side plates. So your stock bumper would now be a custom bumper. Spray the entire piece in bedliner & rock it.

Whatcha think? Could be a cheap way to get a custom looking bumper with the benefit of the guard not just being a bolted on piece, extra off road lighting without blocking the grill & tow hooks still in stock location.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a quick crappy sketch I did. The sides would be 1/4" plate & the cross tubes would be 2" sch std wall pipe. For the light bar I'd use 1" sch std. pipe. Material cost would be really low & I already got a shop thats gonna build my rock sliders that will also do this for me, all I gotta do is show up with materials. I also thought about a few 1/4" thk. supports to be added to the back side of the stock bumper to stiffen it up a little as well. And since it would make the front bumper/guard all one big piece it would be basically a homebrew fabbed bumper without the box shape. Best of all I'd still retain stock tow hooks. And I have noticed some people complain about how low the aftermarket guards hang, this way I can limit the amount below the bumper as well.

LOL, hell I dont know, I'm just tossing ideas around & have Autocad to sketch up ideas with so I'm always doin stuff like this when I'm bored & broke, LOL. Let me know what ya think.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
If you want, Send me a drawing with dimensions and i can make it 3d in inventor.
I like that though.. looks like what i'm thinking of doing, except i'll put the lights up above the bumper and a little behind so i dont smash them up

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As of now I havent pulled a single dimension, i just kinda sketched that up as a starting point. I wont be doin alot of serious offroad stuff so the only way I would smash the lights is during a wreck. I mainly want the extra light for the back road I take to get from my house to the highway, lots of deer & what not. I'd like to be able to really light up the road & ditches. Only purpose the guard would serve would be to make it look a little tougher, LOL

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
As of now I havent pulled a single dimension, i just kinda sketched that up as a starting point. I wont be doin alot of serious offroad stuff so the only way I would smash the lights is during a wreck. I mainly want the extra light for the back road I take to get from my house to the highway, lots of deer & what not. I'd like to be able to really light up the road & ditches. Only purpose the guard would serve would be to make it look a little tougher, LOL

nothing wrong with that, It does look good.
have any idea for lights out the back? I need something for reverse bad lol.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I havent thought about it yet. I'll take a look on lunch at the rear bumper. I'm thinking though you could cut holes in it on both sides of the liscense plate area, weld some brackets to the back side & mount them flush. But again, I'd have to take a look. I wouldnt mind having more back-up light either, especially when tryin to hook up a trailor in the dark.

Personally I'd put both front & rear lights on switches though. I wouldnt always wanna blind everyone when backing up or while driving, only when i needed extra light.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Yeah i'd have them on switches, I've thought about mounting a set ontop of my toolbox as well, dono how that would look though

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That design looks good. You should do a how to with dimensions and all if you dont care if people make one themselves. That or sell it as a kit or completely finished. I would be interested in any of it....

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have given it alot of thought. I think first I'm gonna try a $140 guard from JCwhitney to see if I like the look. If its gonna stay I might either modify that guard into this design & weld it to the bumper instead of leaving it bolted. Or sell it & follow through with this design.