Stock 454SS- need exhaust- want loud- what do I need to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have yet to find one that won't cut out cats.

Lucky you. I asked a muffler shop "If I towed a DEDICATED woods truck with no tags on it that is going to live the rest of its life off the grid would you cut it out for me and run a straight pipe?" I got a "THAT'S NOT LEGAL AS PER EPA BLAHBLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH [click]"

5SPD350

Reaction score
Delete the Cat, put an X pipe in it, and run Flowmaster 10's or Dynomax Race Bullets.

I have stock manifolds, 2.5" duals, no cats, H pipe (but in hindsight would have done an X pipe) two single chamber flow 10's with it dumped right after the mufflers. It's definitely loud with my 350.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
A lot of shops will not remove the cats, but will work on the exhaust after the cats are removed.

5SPD350

Reaction score
When I had my exhaust done I first talked to him over the phone. I said I wanted the cats removed. He said no. I then said okay what If I cut it off first then bring it to you? to which he replied on second thought I can take the cat off. I think he remembered cats are worth money....

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
The legality of it is really not different if the cats are removed prior to going to the shop, but sometimes it makes a difference in them working on the exhaust. I guess they don't think there is an issue if the cats are already gone when they get the vehicle, but they aren't going to risk removing it. Of course, this isn't the same everywhere.

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shatter the fiberglass. Thats funny.

Why is that so funny? Not fiberglass in it? I've blown a few glass packs that way back in the day. If they don't make them that way anymore, I didn't know. I'm not that young and don't want it that loud anymore. Why you guys gotta make me feel like a fool? A simple correction would do.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To put a glasspack (basically a straight pipe with some muffling) on the exhaust system and then remove the muffling seems foolish, especially when you can just run no muffler for the same effect. I agree with jorge6.5- i would run that setup using 2.75" tubing,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The glasspack with no muffling fools the inspection guys that want to see you have a muffler on it

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
The glasspack with no muffling fools the inspection guys that want to see you have a muffler on it
It's ironic isn't it? It's just a peice of pipe. Usually painted. And that's all they want.