Stiff Steering Question, Lifted Trucks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, I don't know If this problem has just started or if it's something that I just never noticed before but, at Idle, I can turn my steering wheel 1/4 turn then it is like manual steering (impossible) to turn the wheel further unless I start moving. This makes it really hard to parallel park! I have a 1998 K1500 with a 6" RCX Kit, steering stabilizer and some 35x12.5x17 Mickey Thompson MTZ's. I have replaced the gear box since I had disconnected everything but the pitman arm and it was real stiff to turn, hence why I though that was the problem. Went for a test drive, same results so I changed the pump, same results again. I am not normally a "parts changer" so this is really bugging me.

Are these tires just that sticky or is there something else to look at? The only thing I can think of now is maybe a bad EVO Solenoid, When the sensor is disconnected, I have easy steering on the highway, when connected, Steering is stiff on the highway so I know it is by passing but now I'm thinking maybe it is by passing a little bit at idle as well. Maybe I need to adjust the relief valve to give out more pressure to compensate for bigger tires? Hydraulics have the power to turn wheels on heavy CAT machinery, surely it can turn my little 35'' tires lol!

Any Advice is much appreciated!

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Sounds like the same thing that happened to my ford but i tore the gearbox up and it drained all the fluid onto the ground

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
so the sensor unplugged makes it feel better? id say sensor if thats so. and those MTZS are odd because my friends truck had 35's as well and his truck always grabbed the road alot and was hard to turn more so than mine, he had the same tires. i wouldnt bet any chips on that though, how new is the gearbox? i know some new ones especially remans can be overtight and do that, unless this is a new thing that just started happening way after the install of the box.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Steering Box is 1 week old. My old box did the same thing but it was harder to turn since I could barely turn the steering wheel with nothing but the Pitman arm connected to it. I might try taking out the Evo Solenoid and putting a pump fitting off a 96 truck and see if that helps, unless I get any other suggestions along the way. I'm wondering if it has to do with that heim joint that goes from the steering drop link to the lcd drop binding up.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I found my problem, that stupid EVO solenoid must have been plugged. I installed a hydroboost unit this weekend from a 3500 4x4, I also grabbed the fixed orifice off the back of the pump. I can finally park my truck with one finger! Btw, hydroboost mod, totally worth it! My pedal is nice and firm now and if I jam on the brakes, all 4 35" tires lock up!

Gray_z71

Reaction score
I know I am bringing this thread back from the dead lol. But where can I find information on how to do the hydroboost mod? Thanks for the help!