Stiff gas pedal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lube the pivot point for the gas pedal.

Lube the throttle cable.

Test the Cruise control and the Trans TV cables to see how stiff they are. Lube or replace as needed.

Test the throttle linkage at the TBI, see how stiff the throttle shaft is.

BlueDemon94

Reaction score
I replaced mine last year. But the new one is exactly the same feeling! I just deal with it
My pedal had play so I replaced it today thinking it would fix it instead of using zipties. Instead the gas pedal became stiff. It responds much more now but I don’t know if its normal. My friends pedal also feels the same so Idk.

GM01

Reaction score
I had a similar issue as described here. It was really hard to even just back out of my driveway without jerking my head. Changing the cable and greasing the pivot points for the pedal, as suggested here, makes it real smooth now. O'Rielly carries a Pioneer brand cable that has worked well for me so far.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Lol! I might check into this. My (last two) Crown Vic(s) is one of those "drive by wire" cars. I (barely) remember thinking that the gas pedal felt like there was almost no tension on it.
Then, after 3 years of that, I get a good old fashioned truck with a throttle cable. BIG difference in pedal feel. I assumed it was just because I was used to the "wimpy" drive by wire pedal.