Stiff gas pedal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FusionX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 silverado and the gas pedal is really stiff for some reason. When you go to push it down its really stiff but once you get it pushed in a little it feels normal? So i'm constantly taking off like im in a race at every stop sign. I've read that changing the cable out would help? Any other suggestions? The spring in the throttle body is pretty stiff too is there anything that can be done about that?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The TBI's return spring is strong on purpose; that's the only thing keeping you from having unintended "cruise control", in other words, a runaway truck. The pedal itself has no return spring.

The problem is almost always the cable. I've been fooled by them before by disconnecting it at the TBI and moving the cable back and forth on its own, they often move quite freely then, but when you put them under a load they crap out as they're dragging internally on the cable jacket.

Super easy to replace. Just do it. :)

Richard

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
The TBI's return spring is strong on purpose; that's the only thing keeping you from having unintended "cruise control", in other words, a runaway truck. The pedal itself has no return spring.

The problem is almost always the cable. I've been fooled by them before by disconnecting it at the TBI and moving the cable back and forth on its own, they often move quite freely then, but when you put them under a load they crap out as they're dragging internally on the cable jacket.

Super easy to replace. Just do it. :)

Richard

I have the same issue with my truck. Im used to it and know how to control it, but if its easy enough ill do it. How difficult is it to swap the cable?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

2sticks

Reaction score
My pedal was stiff as a board all the way, I replaced the cable yesterday and it’s the same if not worse. It seems like the stiffness is in the spring. I’m wondering if a good throttle body cleaning would help?

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My pedal was stiff as a board all the way, I replaced the cable yesterday and it’s the same if not worse. It seems like the stiffness is in the spring. I’m wondering if a good throttle body cleaning would help?
I replaced mine last year. But the new one is exactly the same feeling! I just deal with it