Stering column broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whittenetx

Reaction score
1991 k1500 my steering column broke up inside just wandering if I can swap an automatic column in without any issues they are just a lot easier to find

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would use a column from '94 and back. Starting in '95 GM started to do weird things with the steering columns. Guessing you have a stick trans? You won't need the NSS that's mounted on the column, as the clutch pedal has a safety switch, and the trans has the reverse light switch. The newer columns will bolt onto your dash, and attach with your lower steering shaft. The shift arm comes off easily, just drive out the pivot pin and remove the spring that is beneath the shift arm so that it doesn't find its' way into the inner workings of the column. I swapped a '93 Suburban column into my '89 C1500. Granted they're both automatics, but the swapability is there just the same.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1991 k1500 my steering column broke up inside just wandering if I can swap an automatic column in without any issues they are just a lot easier to find
1988-1994 in this body style (skip the 1988-1991 squarebody trucks; I think the plate where it mounts to the firewall is different) and pay attention to the wiper switch. Some really base model trucks, particularly the very early ones, don't have intermittent wipers. Turn the switch and see how many positions it has.

Obviously if you have cruise you'll want to get one with the cruise lever.. just beware it's a high failure part (mostly where the wiring bends to go into the column) - but if you need to replace it, it's way easier to do so with one that has cruise to begin with, because you use the lever's wiring to pull a fishing wire through so you can pull the replacement lever's wiring back in with it.

And yes, you can put an automatic column in your manual transmission truck. If you don't want to look at the gear lever you can simply knock the roll pin out and remove the lever.

Richard

whittenetx

Reaction score
1988-1994 in this body style (skip the 1988-1991 squarebody trucks; I think the plate where it mounts to the firewall is different) and pay attention to the wiper switch. Some really base model trucks, particularly the very early ones, don't have intermittent wipers. Turn the switch and see how many positions it has.

Obviously if you have cruise you'll want to get one with the cruise lever.. just beware it's a high failure part (mostly where the wiring bends to go into the column) - but if you need to replace it, it's way easier to do so with one that has cruise to begin with, because you use the lever's wiring to pull a fishing wire through so you can pull the replacement lever's wiring back in with it.

And yes, you can put an automatic column in your manual transmission truck. If you don't want to look at the gear lever you can simply knock the roll pin out and remove the lever.

Richard
I appreciate the detailed response I completely forgot some of these trucks did not have intermittent wipers.
And so I'm understanding correctly you were saying the square body was the ones that probably mount to the firewall different right?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd skip the squarebody trucks to be safe, unless someone with direct experience says otherwise. I'm almost certain I had an old squarebody column sitting around forever ago and compared it to a GMT400 and they were different, but it's been long enough I can't say 100% for sure.

Richard