Steering wheel with buttons in old interior?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm sure most of us have seen the steering wheel with the radio control buttons put into a 95+ truck, but after looking at the radio plugs for the older interior, I don't see any reason why you couldn't put that wheel into a older interior truck.

So anyways, I have several questions. First, will a 95+ steering wheel even fit on the old column, are the splines the same or will it need an adapter? Also, is the pinout actually the same on the 88-94 stock radio and the 95-98 stock radio? It looks like it uses the same plugs, but the radio pinout may be different...

Just a thought running through my head, if it is possible, I'll definitely do it since I have the stock radio in my 1994, and I think the newer steering wheel looks really nice.

Thanks for any help!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The radios in the 88-94 trucks don't have remote function capabilities, so it wouldn't work. The pin-outs for the power and speakers are actually the same, but the remaining 6-pin segment is entirely different, made for an Aux source I haven't quite figured out how to activate.

As for putting the later wheel on the earlier truck, I don't have a clue. I did once, however, look into a few things... Earlier model Cadillac cars had air bags, and iirc, some may have had steering wheel controls....And they used the same style columns as the trucks. However the upper sections are different, elongated to make room for the clockspring. I looked into swapping the head of a 95 Astro van onto my truck, as that would have given me a clockspring to play with, but I decided it would be too much work for too little gain, since you have to swap the steering wheel shaft.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The radios in the 88-94 trucks don't have remote function capabilities, so it wouldn't work. The pin-outs for the power and speakers are actually the same, but the remaining 6-pin segment is entirely different, made for an Aux source I haven't quite figured out how to activate.

As for putting the later wheel on the earlier truck, I don't have a clue. I did once, however, look into a few things... Earlier model Cadillac cars had air bags, and iirc, some may have had steering wheel controls....And they used the same style columns as the trucks. However the upper sections are different, elongated to make room for the clockspring. I looked into swapping the head of a 95 Astro van onto my truck, as that would have given me a clockspring to play with, but I decided it would be too much work for too little gain, since you have to swap the steering wheel shaft.
Ah, damn. I was really hoping that it was possible, but I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't put a remote control function in. That sucks, but thanks!

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score

The 9-pin segment is an aux circuit that the factory cassette player ran off of. The pinout for it is included in the first post on my Adding AUX to 88-94 stereos thread.

Adding AUX to 88-94 Stock Stereo
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...ck-Stereo.41423/&share_type=t&link_source=app

I’ve also attached a complete wiring diagram for the 88-94 stereos. This ones specifically for a 93 with cassette and amp but should be the same for most years.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score

That's not what I'm talking about. The older style used five separate connectors. One 6-pin for power and lighting, one 4-pin for the front speakers, one 4-pin for the rear, then the head unit 6 or 7-pin (depending on year) connector and the 9-pin tape deck connector. That left an unused 6-pin opening next to the rear speakers connector, but most vehicles never used it. Looking on the CDM, they're shown as a couple Aux input and voice pins. Later models combined the three connectors into one 20-pin conglomeration and used the extra previously-unused pins for things like data and the steering wheel controls.

Not an idiot here lol.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
That's not what I'm talking about. The older style used five separate connectors. One 6-pin for power and lighting, one 4-pin for the front speakers, one 4-pin for the rear, then the head unit 6 or 7-pin (depending on year) connector and the 9-pin tape deck connector. That left an unused 6-pin opening next to the rear speakers connector, but most vehicles never used it. Looking on the CDM, they're shown as a couple Aux input and voice pins. Later models combined the three connectors into one 20-pin conglomeration and used the extra previously-unused pins for things like data and the steering wheel controls.

Not an idiot here lol.

Gotcha, sorry didn’t mean to offend, just misunderstood which 6-pin segment you were referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk