Steering wheel did not re-center after front end rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigriver

Reaction score
Rebuilt the front end and replaced steering box. Steering wheel is off about 90 degrees to the right. Had the truck realigned and its still in about the same position. Best I could tell everything will only go back one way. Pitman arm on the steering box is grooved one way. Steering shaft is grooved one way. Any suggestions. Can the steering wheel be pulled and rotated?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The alignment shop will align your steering wheel via the tie rod ends when you take it in.

Word, if they don't do it make them fix it, there is only 1 place around here that will do that correctly, I can't stand driving down the road after an alignment with the steering wheel sideway's.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whoever aligns it is supposed to center the wheel, you can't move the steering wheel because of the horn connection has a hole for it.

bigriver

Reaction score
The alignment shop did align the front end. Drives fine. They seem to think the pitman arm is off. I told them that it only goes on one way "if I remember correctly." I think the rebuilt steering box is off one tooth or has to much wear in it so that the steering column shaft and pitman arm shaft are out of time with each other which makes the steering wheel off 90 degrees. Going to see if they can adjust the tie rods enough to line up the steering wheel.

thanks

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Sounds almost like the box's input wasn't straight when steering shaft was hooked up, or the steering shaft wasn't straight? Maybe the box rebuilder's fault too? :shrug: