Steering slop, am I nuts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't mind the overboosted feeling, go ahead and disconnect it. My '99 had a major improvement in steering feel.

jtlichty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's possible that you have a bad steering wheel position sensor. A bad sensor can make the steering system overboosted and create a sudden jerk when driving around a corner. Mine did it at about 45mph and it scared the out of me. It's a $40 part from Amazon and takes about 20 minutes to change.

Check into this for sure! I replaced mine and my steering is tight and true now. The sensor goes bad and then you get the jerking problems and the sloppy steering feel. It's a simple and inexpensive fix. Just check around and you should be able to find a cheap one. It doesn't take long to do at all.

Here's the one I used:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...46_701&keyword=steering+wheel+position+sensor

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's possible that you have a bad steering wheel position sensor. A bad sensor can make the steering system overboosted and create a sudden jerk when driving around a corner. Mine did it at about 45mph and it scared the out of me. It's a $40 part from Amazon and takes about 20 minutes to change.

I can see that the problem is in the box. I have a hydro boost system and I don't have an EVO.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I can see that the problem is in the box. I have a hydro boost system and I don't have an EVO.

Are you sure about that? I've never heard of Hydroboost not having the EVO. I'm pretty sure I've got EVO on mine.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I've never heard of Hydroboost not having the EVO. I'm pretty sure I've got EVO on mine.
Someone may have replaced the pump and reservoir at some point with an earlier pump without the EVO but I don't see the plug either. Of course someone could have cut the plug from the harness.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have put 27 miles on it today and it is very smooth but the slop has now increased to 1" when to truck is running and 2 1/4" when the truck is shut off. I'm going to take it to the alignment shop before I call redhead and have them put it in writing that the box is the cause of my steering play. I have had 2 other people look at it as well and they both agree with me that it is the box but the alignment shop will seal the deal.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A private shop and the alignment shop both agree that the slop is in the box. I called redhead and they said that they would send another one.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Redhead's prices are very similar to the local rebuilders. But, just for that kinda customer service, they just moved to the top of my list if/when I need to replace mine!