Steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
If that is the pitman arm bolt or the idler arm bolt sheared off then that is likely your problem. I would fix that ASAP and don't drive it like that. Too dangerous. If this is the pitman arm, it appears your steering box needs the pitman seal replaced as it looks like power steering fluid drippings. Check all the hoses at the pump and up top of the box as well.

This is just me, but if mine were looking like that I'd pull my steering box off as well to check it out.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that is the pitman arm bolt or the idler arm bolt sheared off then that is likely your problem. I would fix that ASAP and don't drive it like that. Too dangerous. If this is the pitman arm, it appears your steering box needs the pitman seal replaced as it looks like power steering fluid drippings. Check all the hoses at the pump and up top of the box as well.

This is just me, but if mine were looking like that I'd pull my steering box off as well to check it out.
Looks like I have to pull the steering box to get to it anyway. Does the seal not come with the arm? I'm not seeing any seal that you mentioned on part sites, am I looking for a power steering gear seal kit?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The have several different kits depending on what all you want to replace. you can order these or local parts shop as needed.

https://www.plews-edelmann.com/repair-kits/

Steering gear how-to
https://www.midweststeering.com/wp-content/uploads/Sag800-Service.pdf
Found it at Napa. Thanks for the help, I'm going to go pull the steering box and bring the whole thing in to make sure I get the right parts, plus I can borrow their pitman arm puller. Don't worry, I've parked it since noticing the issue, one bad bump and no steering input? Sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially the way our roads are here in DFW.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the stud that broke is now loose in the center link, the tapered hole that the stud fits through will be augered-out and unfit for use.

You likely need a new center-link as well as a Pitman arm--unless by some miracle the stud is still tight in the taper.

Basically, if you can remove the stud from the tapered-hole in the center link without hammering it out--the taper is damaged.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the stud that broke is now loose in the center link, the tapered hole that the stud fits through will be augered-out and unfit for use.

You likely need a new center-link as well as a Pitman arm--unless by some miracle the stud is still tight in the taper.

Basically, if you can remove the stud from the tapered-hole in the center link without hammering it out--the taper is damaged.
I checked the fit before I connected the new pitman arm. It felt tight, so I'm installing the new, I'll have the wife do some strong wheel jiggle once it's all together to make sure, but it sure looks like I caught it before it rattled apart too. Crossing my fingers.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so pulled the steering gear box, replaced the pitman shaft seal, the pitman arm, tipped off the fluid, and replaced everything. No leaks so far, but there's also no power steering anymore. There was a small leak, but there was still fluid in the reservoir, and no strange noises or behavior when I pulled it into the garage yesterday morning. Power steering pump was replaced with a quality unit 5k miles ago. The lines only go in one way (one fitting is larger than the other), so what could I have done to make the power steering go out completely?

Side note: had the wife turn the wheel back and forth while I looked at the center link, no play, whole steering system moves as one unit.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
If it is all hooked up right and no leaks, the only thing to provide lack of assist is no pump output, slipping belt, the flow control valve inside the pump stuck open and the pump is just bypassing most of the output back to inlet vanes, parts inside the the gear box are leaking past, fluid level is too low...........or unrelated to the pump, the adjuster nut got turned on the gear and the backlash is too tight.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is all hooked up right and no leaks, the only thing to provide lack of assist is no pump output, slipping belt, the flow control valve inside the pump stuck open and the pump is just bypassing most of the output back to inlet vanes, parts inside the the gear box are leaking past, fluid level is too low...........or unrelated to the pump, the adjuster nut got turned on the gear and the backlash is too tight.
Actually, I was just impatient when I was bleeding the system. Let it sit for 20 minutes and started it back up and it worked like a dream. Refilled the fluid and now I'm headed to the alignment shop

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score

This is a flow control valve, They cannot stick open as there is nothing to stick, it has a bore straight through the valve,
You must be registered for see images attach