Steering dead spot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thirsty

Reaction score
I still have a dead spot in my steering. When I stop the wheel still moves a couple inches each way without the tires moving. I want it tight, no movement.

I have installed in the last month
PSC XD steering box
Kryptonite pitman
Pro forged idler
Henderson super steer idler bracket
Rancho stabilizer
Flaming river u joint DD
Bilstein 4600x4
Cognito idler brace (pitman brace will not work with kryptonite arm)
Toyo m55 255 85r16 ( roadforce balanced)
New tie rods

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your best bet for finding the problem is to have a buddy turn the wheel while you lay under the truck and watch to see where the slop is. Did you replace your inner tie rod ends? Do you still have a rag joint?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same problem but it's on a GMT800.

When you say Flaming River u joint, do you mean the rag joint?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this out of the "Engine" section and into "Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits".

WHAT VEHICLE???

Ball joint (upper/lower) condition?
2WD? Wheel bearings properly adjusted?
Frame cracked by steering box?

Steering box is "new", but was it properly adjusted? Lots of boxes seem to leave the assembly station without getting the two adjustments done correctly. The "usual" failure is to tighten the second adjustment more than it should be, because they didn't get the first adjustment tight enough.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this out of the "Engine" section and into "Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits".

WHAT VEHICLE???

Ball joint (upper/lower) condition?
2WD? Wheel bearings properly adjusted?
Frame cracked by steering box?

Steering box is "new", but was it properly adjusted? Lots of boxes seem to leave the assembly station without getting the two adjustments done correctly. The "usual" failure is to tighten the second adjustment more than it should be, because they didn't get the first adjustment tight enough.
I hate “new” steering boxes I’ve never installed one that was adjusted properly. They’re either way to tight making the steering “sticky” or just as loose as the one it’s replacing.

Anyways X2 on checking ball joints, wheel bearings and frame cracks.

Make sure the person you have helping is rocking the wheel between the “dead spot” so you can see where your excess movement is coming from.

What year and vehicle? I believe the newer ones have a second U-joint under the dash?

Is your steering wheel nut tight?

Is the firewall bushing/bearing support thingy worn out?

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running the cognito brace on kryptonite pitman.but then you can't run the steering stabilizer (the bolt-in frame side mount bracket is in the way) you can make it work if you weld in the tab bracket like the k2500-3500s that came stock with them,

install the nylon nut it comes with on the pitman,install the rest as normal the lock washer will sit on the base of the nylon nut

Last edited: