Anyone using the Flaming River ujoint on their steering shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Wife's C1500 Sub has new ball joints, tie rods, idler arm/bracket, and pitman arm.

Steering improved enough to make the slop caused by the old rag joint VERY obvious (11:00 to 1:00 slop). Previously it all sorta felt like slop, now that there's new hardware it's a bit tighter once you get past the "lash" from 11 to 1.

Admittedly this may be in the gearbox instead but I know this old rag joint is at least worthy of replacing.

WILL NOT do the Jeep shaft swap, this is a 99 and plenty of warnings out there about using it on these later styles.

Which Flaming River do you guys suggest? I've also seen conflicting info on whether this is a 26, 30, or 36 spline setup.

Any alternative?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yep, I put one on a couple years ago. I did everything you did plus a quick ratio steering box from Redhead and I still wasn't happy with the steering. I did the flaming river u-joint and immediately noticed the difference! Definitely highly recommended. I forgot which spline count I got, I did find the info on this forum though. Maybe try a google search with gmt400 in the title?