Static/popping in one sub.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
So I picked up a box for 2 10s with subs included. Traded a jvc deck for it. Installed it in Sunday. Wired it in a 2ohm load also. Noticed the driver side sub crackling popping. Almost like static. Still play but it's annoying lol. Bad RCA cable? I had eveything to do the instal but power ground an RCA. Picked up a cheap Walmart set for 23 bucks. Good deal altogether but need to fix the sound lol

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
swap your leads.

If the noise moves to the other, it's your install or perhaps the amp.

If it doesn't move over, your sub is toast....

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Ditto:
It's been my experience, that the noise you described, is the classic sign of a dead sub.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Ok I'll try that tonight when I get off. The amp was free so I won't be butt hurt if it's bad. Ill post up what happens. Thanks for the help

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Finally got off an checked it out. Soon as it started popping I pulled rcas an it continued popping with no rcas. So I flipped the rcas an plugged them in an still popping. I disconnected the speaker wire itself to make it stop. So the amp is bad??

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Flip the speaker wires to the subs. If the other sub starts popping and the original one stops popping, then it's the amp.
If there is no change, then the sub is bad.
This is only if the amp is running the two subs in stereo. This means the right channel of the amp powers one sub and the left channel of the amp powers the other sub.
If the amp is bridged to one channel (mono) and powers both subs together, then the popping sub is the culprit. If the amp was bad then both subs would pop.
Hopefully I didn't confuse you.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Yes I understand. Lol. I just switched the speaker wires around and now the other sub is doin it.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sounds like the amp is bad to me.

But, i'm troubleshooting over the internet, soooooo.....