Starting my body lift, anyone who's done it before I have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

please get more aggressive tires after the body lift. :banghead:

HAHA! That's the tire that blew out. Actually it didn't blow out so much as cracked and broke eventually over time.. the manufacture date says 2007 so it's been quite a while. I'm going to put on 33's once the lift is on. I would get 35s but no money to regear.

Explains the second fuel door haha, givin you a hard time, if you was closer id help
Haha thanks for the offer. haha yup kind of looks a little weird but too bad there's a giant hole there not much I can do about that.

Update: Went back to the store and bought impact sockets. Got 2/3 of the driver's side cab bolts out. Went smoothly. Guess it wasn't stripped enough for the impact socket. I had to give it a few tries and apply pressure upward with my hand behind the impact wrench and the thing nearly exploded out. No breakage thank god. First time using an impact wrench so a few lessons learned. Almost broke my hand. I did the same thing on the second bolt with my hand behind the wrench applying upward pressure so it doesn't slip (and the wrench is heavy due to being electric) and the thing exploded out and actually pinned my hand between the back of the wrench and the concrete. If I had let off a split second later might have a fracture. But all in all love the impact wrench! Cant imagine doing this by hand, the size of that bolt, I'd be there turning each of em for 30 minutes.

A Harbor Freight Tools opened up near my house and I got an ad in the mail and the impact wrench was $37.99. 230 ft lbs so I'd say not a bad deal. Spent about $40 to save some energy and time. Had to stop cause it was getting noisy out in the driveway. I'd work till 3 if it was in the garage but garage was stuffed with storage stuff when I started. Hopefully I'll be able to get the cab and bed lifted tmw and then have a local machine shop do the shift linkage rod welding.

Still stuck on the parking situation since it won't unbuckle from the coupler. Can I just dremel or cut away at the enclosure it's in and then slip it out for the lift? I dont get why a separate bracket is needed as long as it doesn't sag?

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I believe that is to adjust the parking brake, always do short bursts with the impact, when the bolt gives it goes, when you go to put it back together get the bolts started before you even think about touching them with the impact, if you start with the impact thats a quick way to strip the bolts

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im haivng trouble finding a good level place to put the jack to raise the cab. The bed I found but the cab the only place that is flat I see is on the body. It seems sturdy at the corners/edges though like near the wheel well. Anyone have any good ideas?

Also I'm planning on doing 1 of the mounts at a time with 1 jack, that should be okay?

Here? Or...

Here?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Defintly the first way, second could possibly fold in your rocker panel. Put the jack centered in the cab and you will ba able to do all 3 mounts without having to let the jack down. I always used a 4x4 cut to a proper length

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

Cab is lifted.

The bed is a PITA. I got the first bolt out for the bed. The second is right behind the leaf spring so it took quite a while. No impact wrench for that one. The last two... I have a tow hitch and a big fat ass spare tire that makes it impossible to remove the last two. There's no room for leverage let alone my own hands to fit into that 2nd to last one.

and.....