Starter shim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didnt say none of these trucks came with them, I said MANY of these trucks didnt come with them.
Doesnt mean It shouldnt have it, it means they didnt bother putting it on.
My ex wifes family are pretty much all former GM line employees and the stories ive heard about the jacked up things they would do are appalling.
The big 3 all had some pretty major quality issues back in the 90s and some huge labor disputes too.
Dont be shocked if you find an occasional missing bracket or bolts and screws.
These people would chew and spit that nasty chunk of crap into the door before they put the panel on.
Or maybe leave a tuna sandwich inside.
And all of their friends did the same type of thing and much worse.
That is why brand new vehicles with no miles on them had to go straight from the transport truck and into the service department.
Happened all the friggen time.
If you really want an adventure, go buy yourself a mid 90s Dodge.
I used to be a Dodge salesman back in those days.
I cant tell you how many times I sold one of those brand new **** wagons only to see it in the service line every week.
They were missing bolts for the seats or the dash was rattling because they didnt put and handfull of fasteners in or whatever.
And a couple of times they just lit on fire all by themselves.
And gm and ford were not a whole lot better.
So, just because your truck has it. That does not for a second mean that somebody elses truck has it.
Yes, if you can get a support bracket on it you should.
Same with the heat shield.
But you also need the correct nose cone.
They are not all the same.
And use the correct bolts.
And make sure the shims are correct although there are ways of never needing to use shims.
And you need to clean the mounting pad on the block and the nose cone to make sure there are no burrs
And use a torque wrench.
And never ever whack a starter in with an impact.
Do all these things and you wont crack the corner off of the block.
Unless some fool was in there before you and already cracked it.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday the starter made the grinding again on the first attempt. I don’t think the shim made any difference. I think the only correlation is it grinds when it’s cold, then not once it’s warmed up. I’m suspecting faulty rebuild, or maybe just since it’s been sitting since 1994. The NAPA starter never made any noise, just slow crank.

I went underneath to try to remove the flywheel cover to look at gear clearance, and found something that doesn’t look right. There is a ledge on the cover where the nose cone contacts. It steps down. The current starter won’t fit inside the stepped down part. Is this normal?
You must be registered for see images attach

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It may just the starter , my AutoZone one finally had to be replaced after 11 years 3 weeks ago, they gave me a replacement that makes noise no matter what shims I put on there......sounds like a mopar starter.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always, always fer the **** never give up a starter nose cone that fits without shims.
For what, a ten buck core?
Never ever never ever for ***** sake how many damn times do I have to say this never give up that GM starter core.
The nose cone that fits without any shimmy sham shingle spacer ****.
Is ******* gold.
Keep the nose cone, put a new 50 buck motor on it.
Replace the nose bushing.
4 bucks at Oreillys.
Drive it for the next dacade.
If you really wanna go crazy, NAPA sells the whole rebuild kit for 25 bucks.
Never give away a core that fits and works.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo