Starter insulation bushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kvgsqtii

Reaction score
94 C1500 5.7

I'm replacing the starter solenoid and the rubber bushing that goes between the copper bars in the starter and the casing dry rotted in half. Does anyone know if there is a replacement for this? Or am I stuck replacing the entire starter?

You must be registered for see images attach

Seems like a shame tor replace the entire starter over a rubber bushing/insulator.

kvgsqtii

Reaction score
I did try a piece of fuel hose. It fits well over the copper bar, but leaves a gap between it and the housing. Seems like a spot for dust and dirt to get in. I'll look for a local motor shop and see if they can get me one.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Find a local rebuilder and ask if they can supply you with the grommet
^^^THIS^^^
yellow pages (yup they still exist) auto repair, automotive electric, alternator starter repair.
Looks like too late (already new solenoid) ... but, that starter's the old, inefficient amp-hog Delco 10MT.
Superseded by modern design Delco PG260 permanent magnet gear reduction starter. Difference is night & day. Remarkably cheap to buy a new PG260 ... note they DO Require new bolts as their bolts ARE different!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or leave the fuel hose in place, fill in the gaps with RTV Silicone.

My fleet is almost--not completely--converted to PMGR starters. Got a heap of 10MT starters in the core pile, and rebuild parts--brushes, shift-forks, leather washers, front and rear bushings--that are probably never going to get installed because who wants a 10MT any more?

kvgsqtii

Reaction score
^^^THIS^^^
yellow pages (yup they still exist) auto repair, automotive electric, alternator starter repair.
Looks like too late (already new solenoid) ... but, that starter's the old, inefficient amp-hog Delco 10MT.
Superseded by modern design Delco PG260 permanent magnet gear reduction starter. Difference is night & day. Remarkably cheap to buy a new PG260 ... note they DO Require new bolts as their bolts ARE different!
Good to keep in mind when this starter kicks the bucket. Smaller, lighter and higher power is always good.
Or leave the fuel hose in place, fill in the gaps with RTV Silicone.

My fleet is almost--not completely--converted to PMGR starters. Got a heap of 10MT starters in the core pile, and rebuild parts--brushes, shift-forks, leather washers, front and rear bushings--that are probably never going to get installed because who wants a 10MT any more?
I like the rtv option. Keep it going on the cheap, upgrades when it makes sense.

kvgsqtii

Reaction score
Got the gap filled in with rtv, no picture cause I forgot, and I got the starter reinstalled. And it cranks waaaaay slower than before. I'm going to check the connections tomorrow, ran out of time this evening. But anything else I should look at?