Starter going bad, or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

My GMC has 132K on the clock, and as far as I know, the starter is original.

It works just fine, spins the engine over with plenty of torque and all, but I seem to be having an issue once in awhile.

It probably only happens 1 out of every 100 start cycles, but I'll turn the key forward, and hear a sort of metallic "click" sound from under the hood. Not like a relay, but perhaps the starter solenoid engaging? The starter itself is silent. hit the key again, and it fires right up.

Testing the starter will do no good, as it happens so infrequently.....I'd just hate for it to fail on me at a bad time (which they always do.)

Any ideas folks? I don't mind buying a new Delco-Remy starter, but if I don't have to, I won't.

All connections are good, I keep my baby clean. :cool:

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Could be occasionally getting stuck. Keep a hammer in your truck, if it ever goes out whack it a few times with a hammer and it'll allow you to get to the parts store.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check your connections at the starter and the positive cable at the starter end they tend to corrode and make a weak connection

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a lightly corroded cable that's preventing it from making a good connection occasionally, or the batter hot terminal on the solenoid is loose in its housing and the solenoid needs to be replaced. An inspection of said starter and connections should tell the tale.