Starter being weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rolla711

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today i went to jump in my truck and it like normal went to start it and it would not turn over. So i tried again because i have had this issue where it wouldnt start the first try but then 2 seconds later it would crank, but sadly today was not the case. I tried again and it gave me another moment of silence and then started cranking so i released the key to go back to on but the starter wasnt stopping. I turned the truck off and then back to the on position and it started cranking again so i turned it off.......well aftert removing the starter bring it to autozone to be tested passed the test so i bought a key cylinder and its still doing the same thing. I turn to you guys for some advice.

Thanks in advance!:)

1995 ECSB V6

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, don't go to autozone. I have had 3 seperate alternators/starters pass inspection at autozone that I later brought to a local shop and they found problems.

I don't have any advise on your issue, but I would find a local shop. We have a starter/alternator rebuilding shop here that will diagnose and fix whatever the issue is.

If you can get the truck to a place like that, there is a good chance they have seen it before. Hope this helps

rolla711

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O to add to mystery if i put it in gear it stops cranking but if i put it into "P" or "N" its starts cranking again