ss impala rear end??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the rear end in my 98 bagged truck has a bearing going out.. im been doing some thinking an want to get some feed back on changing it out for a SS rearend.. im looking at around $300+ to rebuild mine or just change it.. the SS rearend is 3 inches narrower i thing so i can run a bigger lip wheel in the rear

so give me some feed back or if you know where any other treads about this is please post

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the rear end in my 98 bagged truck has a bearing going out.. im been doing some thinking an want to get some feed back on changing it out for a SS rearend.. im looking at around $300+ to rebuild mine or just change it.. the SS rearend is 3 inches narrower i thing so i can run a bigger lip wheel in the rear

so give me some feed back or if you know where any other treads about this is please post
i know there is another guy on her that has a impala rear end in his truck maby they will chime in. i think the member is Bearcat91

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
Yes it will work dont forget the upgrade to disc brakes as well. Im trying to budget it into my bag plans as well. Like you said it is 3 inches narrower. You will have to add a proportining valve behind the master cylinder iirc...also you will have to cut the factory link tabs off

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
i know there is another guy on her that has a impala rear end in his truck maby they will chime in. i think the member is Bearcat91

I have a 72 nova ss rear end...also disc brakes. Oh and a bigger lipped wheel as well haha.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
a wheel with a sick looking lip actually

Sent from my static android

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
Unfortunately she was bought that way...how ever my rear end is shortened as well...not sure what kind of modifications were made to put it in. I do know the posi is awesome! What kind of ? do you have man?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
'72 Nova's were drum brakes. 5X4.75" bolt pattern. Leaf springs.
The early-mid '90's Impala SS's had rear disc brakes, 5X5" bolt pattern, but smaller bolt sizes. Coil spring, 4 link.
As far as the width dif,'s are, I don't know. But it would seem to me that the Nova would most certainly be narrower.
Impala brakes would probably fit on the Nova rear, but you would have to have the Nova axles re-drilled for the larger bolt pattern.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my questions more less are about the wheels your running.. like back spacing.. i wouldnt mind knowing the width of the rear end from axle flange to axle flange..

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'72 Nova's were drum brakes. 5X4.75" bolt pattern. Leaf springs.
The early-mid '90's Impala SS's had rear disc brakes, 5X5" bolt pattern, but smaller bolt sizes. Coil spring, 4 link.
As far as the width dif,'s are, I don't know. But it would seem to me that the Nova would most certainly be narrower.
Impala brakes would probably fit on the Nova rear, but you would have to have the Nova axles re-drilled for the larger bolt pattern.

i think there 3" narrower.. stud size dont matter cuz i can drill the axles to the truck studs but i think i mite try and find one and do some checking lol..