Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Terrible option on all fronts. You can read back over this thread if you want more details, but the long and short of it is that LEDs emit light in a much different way than filament-based halogens. Putting drop-in LED 9005 and 9006 replacements in a reflector housing designed for halogens will have very bad throw distance, and virtually no cut-off. You'll be blinding other drivers constantly. Putting them in a projector housing designed for HIDs or halogens isn't any better. The ONLY acceptable LED headlights for these trucks are the TruckLite/GE/JW Speaker sealed 5x7 lamps that fit the W/T grilles.

Seriously, read over this thread sometime if you're bored. This has all been discussed in immense depth. It's like a headlight bible in here with lots of incoherent storytelling and rambling in between. :lol:

incoherent??????? i understood every ****** thing i typed! LMFAO

PS......forget those garbage LED things. go read the thread or just take our word for it.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Just like the truck.....**** voltage through the stock harness and switch. I think my truck had 11.6......this bike is a 1984.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

lots more voltage through a relay harness

this harness was made in Japan by an expat that does work for those dual sport bikes. I found a 7" bucket from a Fatboy and converted to a superior headlight.

Here's where I got this harness from: https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/wiring_kits.html

there's nothing like a good ol' Cibie Z-Beam. This is THE best 7" headlight in the world. They stopped making them in '92 or o. I'll pay $200 each on e-bay all day long when I find them. 3 of my bikes have them and I just put one in my brother's bike.......

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
It's just great lighting.

Last edited:

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HEY BILL!!! Glad you are doing very well mah man! Congrats on the shoulder rebuild... hopefully a lot less pain for you now.

I'm in the process of finally starting my '92 Z71. Still back n forth on the engine, hate to say it but I'm leaning towards a 5.3 now, but we shall see. I still like the Gen II LT1, but some electronic stuff is really getting scarce and that doesn't bode well for long term use.
The Spyder composites have really gone to crap with surface oxidation... the chrome inside is still decent, but the lenses are getting very fogged.

I now have a fresh sheet to start with for my "New-to-Me-'98-GMC"... Black, '98 GMC SLE K1500, 305, 4L60E, Non-Z71, Manual-4wd, 3.73 peg leg, EC/SB w/ 3rd Door, Fleetside, power everything, but seats...60/40 w/ lumbar that doesn't work. Plans are limited so I can invest into the ole '92. I am also going to add all of the Z71 bits, because they're all simple bolt ons anyway. Already added Bilsteins and 265/75/R16 Firestone Destinations, and because it has a factory towing package, it had the med duty in-radiatior oil cooler, (I will eventually be adding auxiliary trans and oil coolers). And I have 2 low mile sets of the stock Z71/2500 torsion bars.... and a posi unit is in the works too.

Looked at many, including one out by you @ "Car Wash Cars", S. of Albany. Really nice rig outta Pennsylvania, low miles, pretty clean, but they wouldn't go down to $9500, so..
Anywho, the GMC isn't exactly a clean truck, but the bones are good and it had a lot going for it, despite its issues. New GM crate 305, nice stock steelie, new exhaust, front suspension, solid cab floor/mounts, frame, fenders, rad support, bed, lots new parts, leer cap, solid 3rd door, & a factory tow package, I couldn't beat the price... $1400.
Sat for about a year, filthy interior, dented up, needed PS lines, tires, shocks, steering box, cab corners, rockers, lower front doors, driver hinge pins, and the lower 3rd door lock mechanism was destroyed. After fixing it all, (except body), changing out all the fluids, & getting it inspected, she ended up needing a new radiator, rear brakes, and tranny lines.... about $3500 into her so far, which still is pretty damn good for a reliable 4x4 around here and it's a GMT400 =). I even looked around at GMT800's... seems many around here have rotten frames &/or axle brackets rotting off, on top of other problems. Makes finding a decent 5.3L pretty easy... but anyway.

The stock headlights are fogged pretty bad and the tails are pretty faded out. I intend to add a set of Spyder Glass lenses up front. I cant seem to find the glass front markers and I'm stuck with amber corners because the few clear GMC ones are missing a solid amber strip on the side so I can be quasi-legal. I intend to give this truck a set of stock Tahoe Limited Z71 foglights. I already scored a GM Z71 brushguard. I wish someone made the Diesel bumper with outward holes instead of the stock inner ones, but oh well. I still have those Cibie lights for the '92 Z71. I really like the Warn bumper you have, but eliminating the two hooks really bothers me... not a good trade off to me.

Does anyone have any new suggestions for headlights?

Not going to the W/T lights and definately not Denali/Escalade (which are just ugly to me for the nominal gain in lighting and high buy-in expense).

Last edited:

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I'm partial to the Anzo Clear 211140 with LED bulbs. I did that to my '92 Z71 and they are VERY BRIGHT, and when I shift to "Reverse", they light up everything pretty decently behind me. They have held up very well over time, with no moisture or fading. They've certainly held up better than my Spyder Composite headlights. I know a lot of guys like the smoked look but they simply aren't as bright and in most cases, not legal in many states.

Anzo USA 211140 Cadillac/Chevrolet/GMC Red/Clear G5 Tail Light Assembly - (Sold in Pairs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038BBHNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1JnRCb9XB6DZ3

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm partial to the Anzo Clear 211140 with LED bulbs. I did that to my '92 Z71 and they are VERY BRIGHT, and when I shift to "Reverse", they light up everything pretty decently behind me. They have held up very well over time, with no moisture or fading. They've certainly held up better than my Spyder Composite headlights. I know a lot of guys like the smoked look but they simply aren't as bright and in most cases, not legal in many states.

Anzo USA 211140 Cadillac/Chevrolet/GMC Red/Clear G5 Tail Light Assembly - (Sold in Pairs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038BBHNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1JnRCb9XB6DZ3

Those Anzo tails are what I run in both of my '97s, love them. I've had them for many years at this point and they're holding up just fine.