Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Side note... Not really related to anything on our trucks...

I bought a set of made in China copies of the 7" round TruckLite LED housings for my Monte Carlo. I don't have super high hopes but for $70 I had to try them. Not as worried about snow on the lenses with these as the Monte doesn't get driven in bad weather.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A9JV140

oh boy.....he's crossed to the other side!

LMAO

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I am definitely curious to see your thoughts on this item. Whether you like them or not I would be interested in seeing a comparison vs 9011s.

Interesting thing........Last night I was out in my truck.....and I had the opportunity to use my brights. It's been a while since that happened too.

I was thinking to myself....Holy crap these brights are BRIGHT. I had forgotten just how good they are; especially the nice, even, blanket of coverage all the way out to where my vision stopped seeing.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Also for anyone curious, here's the link to the drop-in 9005 LEDs I'm trying out. They ship out of China so you'll be waiting 1-2 weeks. They appear to be identical to the Beamtechs and Auxbeam N1s. Same ratings on everything and identical construction, I'm 99% sure these are the exact same units before branding is applied.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/9144505

I'll post what I think of them when they show up and I've had a chance to play with them a little.

I too am interested as well.

Though I'd love to see a set of Cibie Z-Beams run through a harness on that car.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
oh boy.....he's crossed to the other side!

LMAO

:lol: I knew someone would say something!

I too am interested as well.

Though I'd love to see a set of Cibie Z-Beams run through a harness on that car.

Just Googled them, they look awesome! If I'm not happy with the Chinese TruckLite copies I may have to hunt a set of those down.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also for anyone curious, here's the link to the drop-in 9005 LEDs I'm trying out. They ship out of China so you'll be waiting 1-2 weeks. They appear to be identical to the Beamtechs and Auxbeam N1s. Same ratings on everything and identical construction, I'm 99% sure these are the exact same units before branding is applied.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/9144505

I'll post what I think of them when they show up and I've had a chance to play with them a little.
I just looked at them
Light Source Color 6500-7000K yuck. Maybe that's not quite true but 7000k is nearly purple. I can't handle that.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting thing........Last night I was out in my truck.....and I had the opportunity to use my brights. It's been a while since that happened too.

I was thinking to myself....Holy crap these brights are BRIGHT. I had forgotten just how good they are; especially the nice, even, blanket of coverage all the way out to where my vision stopped seeing.
What is your complete setup?

I am still running OEM housings from 94 so I suspect I have room for improvement there.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just looked at them
Light Source Color 6500-7000K yuck. Maybe that's not quite true but 7000k is nearly purple. I can't handle that.

If you check listings on Amazon for the Beamtech 9005 LED and Auxbeam N1 9005 LED (which I'm 99% sure are the exact same units as what's in my link), they both rate these at 6500K. But if you look at some of the pictures in those reviews, they look significantly whiter (more yellow) than that. I don't think the manufacturers are rating their color temperature very accurately. I agree, it's still way more blue than what I would prefer, but they don't look anywhere near 7000K IMO.

Link to the Beamtechs for example:
https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-8000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B06XHD4HV3

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you check listings on Amazon for the Beamtech 9005 LED and Auxbeam N1 9005 LED (which I'm 99% sure are the exact same units as what's in my link), they both rate these at 6500K. But if you look at some of the pictures in those reviews, they look significantly whiter (more yellow) than that. I don't think the manufacturers are rating their color temperature very accurately. I agree, it's still way more blue than what I would prefer, but they don't look anywhere near 7000K IMO.

Link to the Beamtechs for example:
https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-8000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B06XHD4HV3

That makes sense. I suspect some of that marketing **** is people assuming that bigger numbers are better and either the seller is ignorant or the buyers or both. Similar to how things get rated as "8000 lumens" Haha right....

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I finally ordered some Philips X-tremeVision 9006 halogens to try in my low beams, I'm excited to see how they perform compared to the Sylvania XtraVisions I've been running.
You are going to like them! Got two packs of them for both of my trucks and are a little better than the Xtravisions, and a little whiter because of the blue on the tip. Also received the 9005 Xtremevisions, so we'll see how they are compared to Xtravisions, forgot about getting 9011's, oh well, I don't use my high beams that much anyway.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
That makes sense. I suspect some of that marketing **** is people assuming that bigger numbers are better and either the seller is ignorant or the buyers or both. Similar to how things get rated as "8000 lumens" Haha right....
In the pics they say 4000 lumens, so they must be saying 8000 lumens together, not each. I don't know why they wouldn't just put 4000 lumens instead of 8000 lumens, must just be a marketing tactic.