Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i will say this however.......knowing what i know NOW after these 126 pages, i wouldn't have bought this bumper for the "fog lights". i have decided that i'm not putting the Buick Marchals in....they're going on the shelf for a future project. i'm NOT putting in the NOS fogs either......there's just too many lights in front.

this thread has sure taught me a thing or three......what i WANTED in the beginning is not what i NEEDED for the types of lighting i want on this truck.....didn't i say that about "other" people and ME when i was a kid.....funny, huh?

the only possible saving grace for the bumper is that i haven't tested the lamps while properly aimed in actual fog, but my gut tells me those lights are indeed "trinkets or toys". thank you Mr.Stern for the term.

the one good thing about the bumper is that it has very nice finished HOLES in it.....where, if i was so inclined, i can install QUALITY fog lamps into......such as the Hella Micro DE Premium fog light: http://www.myhellalights.com/index....s/halogen-lamps/micro-de-premium-halogen-fog/

these would be a VERY simple install, almost like the bumper was made for them.

now i have to see how this lamp actually rates as a FOG light......right now i guess i'm just trying to back-pedal to save the bumper purchase.

polishing a turd indeed.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

here is ALSO a good example of what the main issue with lighting on a motorcycle is....unless you ride you wouldn't think about the void created whilst leaning into a turn.

not horrible. but this guy doesn't have his low beam turn OFF with when the fogs are turned ON.....he's just using them to fill in the fore ground void, as Stern talks about. SEE? lol

Last edited:

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for your ideas, opinions, and suggestions. Except for the installation of the relay wiring harness I just ordered, I probably won't be doing much more lighting, except 'maybe' figuring out how to put some fog lights on my old truck OR a LED light bar up front, but before I do that, come this Spring or Summer my son said he will help me loosen my front bumper and get it closer to level, like it should. The car fax said one or more previous owners had a disagreement with some wild animals I think it was and now the bumper is tilted up some, but when that happens the front grill will get replaced too. Right now there is only 4 screws on top holding it in place.

The last time I put new head light bulbs in (a few says ago) I did notice one of the terminals on one if not both sockets had some brown discoloration on them, but they are still working. So ordering that after market wiring harness from LMC trucks is a good idea.

Just thought of another question about where to pull power for the 'new' light harness. I don't know if the rest of your trucks has very little room between the battery side terminals and the 'air box', but mine has very little space. Since my battery is sitting on the passenger side of the truck and has a big wire (attached to the positive side) running across the front to the under hood fuse box, which has two studs sticking up for easy access, I was thinking of using that as my source, what say you guys? If I go from the battery directly, I would need to find a way to get easier access, I have seen but don't remember where, that there is an adapter that you put under the side terminals and it will give you posts that sit on the top of the battery for other accessories to mount to, that could be an option, maybe.:shrug:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for your ideas, opinions, and suggestions. Except for the installation of the relay wiring harness I just ordered, I probably won't be doing much more lighting, except 'maybe' figuring out how to put some fog lights on my old truck OR a LED light bar up front, but before I do that, come this Spring or Summer my son said he will help me loosen my front bumper and get it closer to level, like it should. The car fax said one or more previous owners had a disagreement with some wild animals I think it was and now the bumper is tilted up some, but when that happens the front grill will get replaced too. Right now there is only 4 screws on top holding it in place.

The last time I put new head light bulbs in (a few says ago) I did notice one of the terminals on one if not both sockets had some brown discoloration on them, but they are still working. So ordering that after market wiring harness from LMC trucks is a good idea.

Just thought of another question about where to pull power for the 'new' light harness. I don't know if the rest of your trucks has very little room between the battery side terminals and the 'air box', but mine has very little space. Since my battery is sitting on the passenger side of the truck and has a big wire (attached to the positive side) running across the front to the under hood fuse box, which has two studs sticking up for easy access, I was thinking of using that as my source, what say you guys? If I go from the battery directly, I would need to find a way to get easier access, I have seen but don't remember where, that there is an adapter that you put under the side terminals and it will give you posts that sit on the top of the battery for other accessories to mount to, that could be an option, maybe.:shrug:

i hear ya on the truck v. critter deal.....i came to find out my d/s front frame extension was bent....what fun i had bringing it back to "even" so my Warn guard would be even....

perhaps someone had higher wattage bulbs in there before you...either way the stock heaadlight harness is NOT up to the task of proper performance......as far as the LMC harness goes, i wouldn't get it.....only because i'm a stickler for QUALITY over cost every time.

to me the harness i got is top shelf.....i'm not going to go anywhere else for my harness needs. the other option(s) are the quality kit from Dan Stern for $80, but you supply your own wire and have to build it....he also offers custom harness making on a per vehicle basis for $161......in either case i can't see saving money with the LMC when there are other options available. it's a one time purchase.....as Michael has said..."buy once, cry once".

had i gotten a reply from D Stern sooner, i wouldn't have bothered to find another option......and gmachinz came about from "link hopping" through information posted early in this thread......he's since joined here and has since offered a few solutions for our trucks.

plus, i'm stupisticious like that....the chain of events led me to gmachinz, it was meant to be.

tis my $.03 sir

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
what an interesting JOURNEY i've had finding those Airport 35/135 series bulb holders......the "Cibie community" IS indeed a small community, at least here in the states. i believe i've exhausted EVERY possible avenue of discovery and source out there. holy fu@k.
without turning over every rock in Europe, the trail is cold if not dead.

if i choose to explain it, it's gonna be a real doozie of a post....or multiple posts. i'm not sure i'm up to all the typing. pretty friggin wild though.

in any case.....i have several bulb holders on the way. 4 sets actually. if anyone else can find them, you're sure a better detective than i.

PS.
for their size, i think the the Airport 35 series pieces are best driving and fog lights you can buy.....IF you can find them.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:lol:

I can't take credit for "schmoo." Watched too many of this guy's videos, his mannerisms and phrases rub off on me from time to time. Kind of a related example, it's got a light in it.

Hell Yeah! AvE is my Hero. "Release the Schmoo!"
Found his YouTube channel while looking for arduino tech last Summer... more electrical mahem for LEDs and Lighting/Sound garage gagetry. His Videos piss off my Wife to no end, but that crazy Canuck is worth it.... absolutely hilarous and I actually learn from him, including what Not to do.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hell Yeah! AvE is my Hero. "Release the Schmoo!"
Found his YouTube channel while looking for arduino tech last Summer... more electrical mahem for LEDs and Lighting/Sound garage gagetry. His Videos piss off my Wife to no end, but that crazy Canuck is worth it.... absolutely hilarous and I actually learn from him, including what Not to do.

Sometimes learning what NOT to do is worth more than learning what to do. :Angry: