Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i ran into an old friend today, he said he has an old headlight he took off his bike that he wanted to give to me because he knows i like lights.....he swapped to the new "smooth" looking lamp that all newer Harley's have....they suck.....anyway, that was cool.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
the lamp turns out to be a CPI lamp....sold by Candlepower.com. they don't make them anymore.....since Fukashima. i haven't seen one in a while.....the lens and reflector are in great shape....i think i'll try it on my FLD when i can ride again..i seem to remember them having a bluish lens though....fu@k if i remember....cool gift, nice thought

You must be registered for see images attach

i wonder who makes the bulbs...Osram, Philips....Vosla?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i got these in the mail today....from Amazon...German Vosla's....the add on amazon says china is the country of origin, that's why i was trying to confirm that the other day.

those Sylvania LED's are wrong, i ordered them wrong.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was just messing with some stuff in the back and had a thought, I think this thread is haunting my brain... We've discussed how LEDs just look a little unnatural and disorienting to some of our eyes. While I'm not racing to put any on my truck, there are a few applications where that blinding quality might not be such a bad thing...

You must be registered for see images

This light is nothing fancy by today's standards, but I like it quite a bit. An old HK UTL, designed specifically for their USP pistols. Originally used a Xenon bulb, but Insight (the company who built them for HK) later released an LED conversion kit that came with a different bezel and the LED module. Raised output to around 120 lumens from the original 90, and gave you about 10X the battery life. I can tell you from my experience playing with it off of the gun, you do not want to look right at it!

Just thought I'd post it up since we were talking about older stuff, both the light and the LED conversion kit have been out of production for a couple years now. I bought mine as a police trade in for about $75 years and years ago, I see them going for upwards of $150 used now.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
these are the little ******** ya can't get.....Cibie stopped making them a while ago, Ford used them in their Marchal 750 fogs on the '79-'86 fox body cars.....and there were a limited amount of the Marchals put on a few Jeeps.

the Cibie Airport 35 and 135 series was basically the same as the Marchal 750(fog) and the 759(clear driving) lamps. small design details on the lenses were the difference.....the 35 has a black epoxy body and the 135's were chrome....clear driving, clear fog, amber fog and amber driving(France) lenses were available....the Marchals were available with clear/amber fog and clear driving leses.

my friend had the 135's in the grill of his '69 GTO.....they worked awesome....Daniel Stern spoke highly of them.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
here's the 750...has a nice detail on the edges of the lens...and of course the famous "cat head"

here's the Airport 35 in clear driving and both fogs

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Was just messing with some stuff in the back and had a thought, I think this thread is haunting my brain... We've discussed how LEDs just look a little unnatural and disorienting to some of our eyes. While I'm not racing to put any on my truck, there are a few applications where that blinding quality might not be such a bad thing...

You must be registered for see images

This light is nothing fancy by today's standards, but I like it quite a bit. An old HK UTL, designed specifically for their USP pistols. Originally used a Xenon bulb, but Insight (the company who built them for HK) later released an LED conversion kit that came with a different bezel and the LED module. Raised output to around 120 lumens from the original 90, and gave you about 10X the battery life. I can tell you from my experience playing with it off of the gun, you do not want to look right at it!

Just thought I'd post it up since we were talking about older stuff, both the light and the LED conversion kit have been out of production for a couple years now. I bought mine as a police trade in for about $75 years and years ago, I see them going for upwards of $150 used now.

cool post.....i remember when they introduce the first Mini-Mag....man was i waiting for that to show up....i think 1980 it was....that's a nice tactical light, state of the art for it's time......and i carry a Olight set on strobe...in case i need to blind the **** outta someone......it makes for a fantastic advantage and in my hand you can't see it.......damn, i remember getting my first HK91....maybe that was 1985?