Speedometer under registers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jehu

Reaction score
Tire size... checked that first thing. The tire size is exactly what's on the door tag.

I'm getting a 25% correction factor. That is, Speedo reads 40, I'm going 50 according to the GPS.

I haven't checked the odometer yet but I'm pretty sure that it's under-registering too.

On my old '75 Chevy, I had some trouble getting the right module to correct for larger tires. In those years, it was actually a gear reduction device that has male/female speedometer cable connections. It went right onto the tailshaft of the t-case. Is that the way they still work on the '93?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Easy... http://tbichips.com/?page_id=504 except ignore what the guy says about "the other dude did dip switches blah blah" I say screw moving the jumpers around; if the first combination you try isn't dead accurate you will want to change it and try others. Sometimes you can try 2 or 3 different settings before you get it just right. So, soldering in a dip switch is easy and super cheap. Your '93/manual probably has the DRAC with the single bank of jumpers, so a single dip switch is cake:

You must be registered for see images attach

"Saving money" by not installing a dip switch is totally laughable. They cost almost nothing.

Richard

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I recently bought a GPS Speedo from eBay. It was 40 bucks, and just displays the mpg in big green numbers, and it's accurate for whatever tires or gears you want to run

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
http://appcrawlr.com/android/digihud-speedometer#authors-description

(More at the bottom of that page.) Lots are free. Free! Woo!

I broke the clip off of a belt holder. Some velcro.

Power cord even worked!

Flasher switch clearance.

Crappy pix. Camera didn't know what to focus on.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Mine had the option for HUD but I just velcroed it to the gauges covering the Speedo. Mine simply plugged into a 12v power outlet so no hard-wiring needed.

Jehu

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I have a habit of putting my phone in a holder by the rear view mirror. I use Waze all the time. The vehicle speed (GPS derived) is shown in the lower left corner. If the speed limit of the road I'm on is in their database, I also get little red marks showing that I'm over the speed limit. I'm okay for now but I would like to get the speedometer (and odometer) working properly.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Its also possivle that someone swapped the ring and pinions for a different ratio. Since its that much slower, maybe they went from 3.73s to 3.42s or something.

Jehu

Reaction score
Its also possivle that someone swapped the ring and pinions for a different ratio. Since its that much slower, maybe they went from 3.73s to 3.42s or something.

That's a scary thought. I still haven't shifted into 4x4. I once bought a Jeep that someone had replaced the rear axle in. The ratios didn't match up so it would roll 5 feet and bind up.