Speedometer Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finn

Reaction score
I recently fixed the error code 24 on my c1500 the service light stopped appearing but I figured this would have fix my cluster as the speedometer isn’t working I’m guessing this just means I need a new cluster as everything else on it works but the speedometer still doenst

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the speedo on my '88 quit working, it would take the Cruise, ABS, odometer with it, and set a code because the computer didn't get a vehicle speed signal, either.

Speed sensor, wire harness, and speedo were fine. Instrument cluster circuitry had failed. Replaced cluster, put original speedo and odo into the Treasure Yard cluster, and it all worked again.

YOUR truck may be different.

Finn

Reaction score
When the speedo on my '88 quit working, it would take the Cruise, ABS, odometer with it, and set a code because the computer didn't get a vehicle speed signal, either.

Speed sensor, wire harness, and speedo were fine. Instrument cluster circuitry had failed. Replaced cluster, put original speedo and odo into the Treasure Yard cluster, and it all worked again.

YOUR truck may be different.
Was it just plug and play for the cluster ?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Treasure Yard cluster had a defective gauge or two; I still have a mix of gauge styles--some '88, some newer. Apparently I got lucky with the axle ratio.

Aside from replacing a couple of gauges, yes, it was plug 'n' play.

Finn

Reaction score
The Treasure Yard cluster had a defective gauge or two; I still have a mix of gauge styles--some '88, some newer. Apparently I got lucky with the axle ratio.

Aside from replacing a couple of gauges, yes, it was plug 'n' play.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Do you think the first top cluster that came out of a 1990 Chevy be a direct replacement to mine the bottom cluster or such as plug and play for my 1990 Chevy ?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck came with a cluster that had gauges like your smaller, top picture.

The cluster I installed had gauges like your larger, bottom photo.

Far as I know, they're interchangeable other than the possibility of axle-ratio issues in the circuitry. GM had a "kit" of parts to change the axle-ratio/speedo calibration; but I think they've been discontinued ages ago.