Speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my exploded 700r4, I remember I had to take the old speedometer gear out and put it in the new one. There is definitely a gear in a 700r4.

There is a thread I found. Like I said, there may be other ways, including messing with the cluster, but you can get different gears as well.
There WAS a speedo gear in older '700s.

The GMT400 series vehicles DO NOT USE A GEAR. They have an electronic vehicle speed sensor, and from '88--'91, an electronic processor (DRAC) in the instrument cluster that accepts the signal from the speed sensor, processes it for the speedometer/odometer, Cruise, ABS, and ECM.

Later GMT400 series vehicles had a stand-alone DRAC behind the glovebox somewhere. By '96, I think it was integrated into the computer.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There WAS a speedo gear in older '700s.

The GMT400 series vehicles DO NOT USE A GEAR. They have an electronic vehicle speed sensor, and from '88--'91, an electronic processor (DRAC) in the instrument cluster that accepts the signal from the speed sensor, processes it for the speedometer/odometer, Cruise, ABS, and ECM.

Later GMT400 series vehicles had a stand-alone DRAC behind the glovebox somewhere. By '96, I think it was integrated into the computer.
Correct. 1995 was final year for this being handled outside of the PCM.

Richard