Some kind of idiotic power issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being temperature related I could see it being an issue with the IAT sensor or MAF. It would help if you could watch the live data and see what your IAT's are vs the known ambient air temp. If it's far off, it will hurt power.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Being temperature related I could see it being an issue with the IAT sensor or MAF. It would help if you could watch the live data and see what your IAT's are vs the known ambient air temp. If it's far off, it will hurt power.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I do have that ability, I'll have to configure my app for it.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
So, leaving last night, it seemed stuck on 69.8

You must be registered for see images attach

So when I stopped for gas, I unhooked the IAT, looked at it, hooked it back up, wiggled it a bit in the little grommet it lives in and when I left it shot up

Few miles down the highway, it had dropped a bit, so probably functioning correctly.

I took it back out today and blasted it with MAF cleaner, put some dielectric grease in it and stuffed it all back together. We shall see, it's been running fine yesterday and today.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Same issue, was even warm out yesterday. Left work, ran like the poopy.

Said eff it, I don't care, whatever it is, it'll blow up, problem solved. Stayed on the freeway. About 8 miles in at 3,000 rpm, bam, into OD it went. Came to a hill, back into drive. Down the hill, still in drive. Tapped brakes, OD. Up the next hill, drive, tap brakes, OD, couldn't maintain it though. Not until the top of the hill.

It's like I'm pulling a trailer sometimes.

BTW, I have changed my TPS with a new ACDelco, no change. Does register proper throttle input on scanner.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That sure sounds like some kind of torque converter f*ckery to me. Isn't the brake tap a way of diagnosing something TC-failure related?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
That sure sounds like some kind of torque converter f*ckery to me. Isn't the brake tap a way of diagnosing something TC-failure related?

Yeah, but it will remain locked up on the scanner. I'm starting to suspect it is something like that. At one point down the freeway last night, i could floor it and it wouldn't kick down lol.

Hooray for my 2 year warranty. Boo for having to take it 100 miles from home and wait days to see wtf is up with it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, but it will remain locked up on the scanner. I'm starting to suspect it is something like that. At one point down the freeway last night, i could floor it and it wouldn't kick down lol.

Hooray for my 2 year warranty. Boo for having to take it 100 miles from home and wait days to see wtf is up with it.

If it's not kicking down, it sounds like TPS because the trans uses TPS to determine shift points. I doubt it's the torque converter, it'd be a dog off the line but normal once moving if it was the torque converter.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I've replaced the tps now. It's still the same, driving it around a bit to get the transmission fluid up over 100 helps tremendously

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
The TPS is reading correctly now. I'm cleaning out the throttle body today and took the EGR off.