So many options, Don't know what to do!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeck11

Reaction score
Okay I'm fairly new to this site and I love it! I have a 98 xcab that is a beast but its getting up there in miles. I plan on pulling the tranny and beefing it up a bit and I figured might as well do the engine while I'm at it. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do as far as rebuilding the 5.7, buying a 5.3 and rebuilding it, or buying a 6.0 and rebuilding it. I know enough about all of them to do the rebuild/put it in but as far as power, fuel economy, and which performance parts I should buy I'm lost. I want it to have a little more huevos than what I have now, but still get decent mileage and have the potential to still be my DD. I'm planning on sticking around 2k into the engine in new parts and I just want to know which engine with which parts would be the best for my situation. I've heard that the 6.0 get like 20 to the gallon in the obs, is that true?? and i would like some input on what performance parts to beef up the 4l60e with. Thanks!!

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I hear that the 6.0 gets 20 to the gallon, but it depends what truck you got. if its extended cab long box 4x4, id doubt it... but then if you look at the regurlar cab short box 2WD, then we're looking at a whole new ball game. As far as the motor to pick, im pretty much stumped as well. But you have to think what your planning on doing with the truck and then go from there. As a DD, the average trailor towing, but also want some more get up and go whemn you need it, you could always rebuild the 5.7 and get all that. Better fuel mileage, if i compare my 5.3 in my 04 chevy to my 1990, their almost the same so its hard to say there.. i guess its how you drive... But in your case, step in the dark, with the "DD, the average trailor towing, but also want some more get up and go " Best bang for your buck, id have to say just go find a 5.3.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have also heard abotut he 20 mpg in these things with the proper tune, personally i would go 5.3, it outta be enough

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I'd say you should go with a 5.3...it has tons more power potential than the 5.7 and can get better gas milage than both the 5.7 and 6.0. You should be able to find a good used one for your budget with some left over for go fast goodies :)

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I'd say you should go with a 5.3...it has tons more power potential than the 5.7 and can get better gas milage than both the 5.7 and 6.0. You should be able to find a good used one for your budget with some left over for go fast goodies :)

x2! agreed.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read that before... Are you saying do the computer swap on top of the 5.3 swap? or is it a necessity for the 5.3 swap?

Im saying the 411 will run either engine. It takes moving a few wires and adding a few to run the L31. You have to move them around some more an add more to run an LS.

The stock L31 computer can not run an LS so the 411 is mandatory for it....