So I just bought a dually.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
Jump the lift pump and open the bleeder on the top of the filter housing.

Just because the lift pump is new doesn't mean it's working. It's controlled by the oil pressure sensor on that year of truck if I remember correctly.

It could be a bunch of other things but if he really just changed the filter and it wouldn't start I would start there first.

Don't crank on it to long at one time and take frequent breaks between crankings. The starter on a 6.5 is pretty pricey and is a bit of a pain to replace.

If it's air locked really bad you may have to crack an injector line to get it going.

Here is a thread to show you how to jump the lift pump.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459681&highlight=jump+lift+pump

Alright so opened the fuel filter valve and jumped the lift pump and it started right up and seem to run pretty decent but after about 15 min it died and wont restart. Hpw low does the oil pressure have to be to kill the lift pump? I was getting about 40-45 psi on the dash while it was running.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I was just gonna say that you may need to bleed the fuel system and get it primed up again. But i see you guys have that one covered. the Lift pump on my Diesel is wired to a 12V switched source rather then the Oil Pressure sensor since that is one of the weak points of the 6.5. The OPS (oil pressure sensor) sometimes burns up from the load of the lift pump on it. The reason GM used the OPS to trigger the lift pump is to act as a roll over switch. A lot of 6.5 Diesel owners will fab a relay harness to take the load off of the ops still allowing them to use the OPS to trigger it as GM intended. Some like my trucks previous owner will bypass it and go to a 12V switched source. Advantage of the 12V route is that the Lift pump is powered on all the time rather then waiting for oil pressure to build up to trigger it. This may or may not be an option for you. However once you get it running again Please Please Please look at doing a Pump Mounted Driver relocation. This truck uses drive by wire for a throttle and when this lil black box is going haywire it will do one of two things...Either leave you completely stranded or do the Toyota Prius with the stuck throttle. Neither of which is fun. None the less great purchase man im jealous!

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
I got it running again and it seems I have a fuel leak thats causing it to lose prime. I can see fuel dripping down the back side of the motor near the oil filter but cant pin point it yet.

Heres some more/better pics of it since I got it running and moved.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lol this dually has a hitch.

Its super dirty but I think it will clean up nice.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
dude I hate you down south guys and your rust free trucks

good you and Allen are bringing your ***** to Showfest then!!!!

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
dusted it off a little bit and chopped across town to go leak some obs fluids in front of Keiths house lol. Should shine up real good with a good waxing.