So how do you change the heater hose nipple?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isle_cruiser

Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing this part right now.
On a 92 where it is on the rear of the intake? Seems like there's a wire loom and a bracket that get in the way. Also, how do you release the coolant hose? I've got a decent leak on mine. See pics.
You'll need to remove the bracket and get everything out of the way in order to do this job. I'm in the process of doing this right now.

Unfortunately for me, the QD was completly broken off at the manifold. It's a common problem.

I just chisled mine out this afternoon and might replace with a standard hose barb instead of these sht QDs to be honest. Use a good clamp, cheap fix...good ol uncle bobby

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
might replace with a standard hose barb instead of these sht QDs to be honest.
The Genuine GM item is garbage. The Dorman knockoff that I bought to replace the failed GM part has held-up spectacularly. Twenty years later, it looked like new and went into the replacement engine. Still in use today.

IF you replace the Quick Disconnect with a standard hose-barb, be sure to restrict the barb to about a 1/4" hole.

Someone on this forum was posting availability of hose barbs that were already restricted. I don't remember what that thread was, though.

isle_cruiser

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I just read through the thread and still unsure why it would need to be restricted? Restricting will not change the pressure in the system, just change the volume of flow going to the heater core.

Either way I'll will use a 1/2MNPT x 1/4FNPT reducer bushing in first then install the 5/8 hose barb. This will give me the recomended restriction and also separate the brass barb and aluminum manifold. Win win haha

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not just get an Acdelco 15-5372 or Acdelco 15-3320?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I just read through the thread and still unsure why it would need to be restricted? Restricting will not change the pressure in the system,
Of course it reduces pressure in the heater core.

just change the volume of flow going to the heater core.
Which also eliminates gurgling and whooshing noises.

isle_cruiser

Reaction score
Of course it reduces pressure in the heater core.

Which also eliminates gurgling and whooshing noises.
Weird, I'm a hydraulic guy so I see it as a closed loop system which would not have pressure differences unless there's a check valve and pressure relief somewhere. I'm far from a cooling system expert though haha

50psi is 50psi....I always think of reducers like sticking your thumb over a garden hose end. This doesn't create more pressure, it just decreases flow and changes the force of the system pressure.

Moving on though, im not an expert. I'm probably just over thinking it and i shouldn't think everything is a hydraulic system haha