Small Turbo on stock L29 454?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like turbo setups are so affordable nowadays (compared to yesterday, say 90s and before?) I'm kinda new to working on vehicles and stuff, but those turbo kits for $1500-$3000 do seem enticing, especially after watching those YT videos on how easy they are to install, LOL.

Of course, the fuel delivery and tuning will make the overall cost somewhat higher as well, and all of the other little things add up quickly. And then there's the cost to open the engine and gap the rings, if you are running higher boost...But I think that for boost < 5 psi, no gapping is required? And if you go down the rabbit hole of going forged internals, "while you're in there," you better have deep pockets!

Seems like $4k-$5k is an absolute minimum, realistic budget? That's if you are doing the work yourself? Welding required! That would be my guess. Tuning may be extra?

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like turbo setups are so affordable nowadays (compared to yesterday, say 90s and before?) I'm kinda new to working on vehicles and stuff, but those turbo kits for $1500-$3000 do seem enticing, especially after watching those YT videos on how easy they are to install, LOL.

Of course, the fuel delivery and tuning will make the overall cost somewhat higher as well, and all of the other little things add up quickly. And then there's the cost to open the engine and gap the rings, if you are running higher boost...But I think that for boost < 5 psi, no gapping is required? And if you go down the rabbit hole of going forged internals, "while you're in there," you better have deep pockets!

Seems like $4k-$5k is an absolute minimum, realistic budget? That's if you are doing the work yourself? Welding required! That would be my guess. Tuning may be extra?

Yes, a lot to consider. I think I will take the advise first and start with headers, aluminum heads (if compatible), and a comp cams kit. Yes, I'd do the work myself. Tuning I'll go through blackbear. $5k is a rough estimate. I'll have some good money after this deployment to stick into it.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, a lot to consider. I think I will take the advise first and start with headers, aluminum heads (if compatible), and a comp cams kit. Yes, I'd do the work myself. Tuning I'll go through blackbear. $5k is a rough estimate. I'll have some good money after this deployment to stick into it.

Does blackbear offer tuning for boosted applications? Maybe there's a competent tuner up there in fargo?

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does blackbear offer tuning for boosted applications? Maybe there's a competent tuner up there in fargo?

Not sure on the boosted part. We do have a couple dynos nearby that could probably tune it also. I just don't know if they have a basemap for the 0411 PCM. I've had good luck with Blackbear on NA stuff.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has put a small turbo on their L29 454. I am contemplating upgrading my engine with a comp cams 212/218 cam, brodix/afr/edelbrock aluminum heads, headers and possibly bore and stroke to 496. I have a 0411 PCM already. The question is, is it worth it or should I do a duramax swap?

Nothing crazy. I'd just like have more power for street with some towing every once in awhile. I'd like to have better hp than what the newer gasoline trucks are making and I'd like to have about the same torque as a LB7/LLY/LBZ duramax.

500hp is plenty.
1. You will never get the torque of a Duramax without the Duramax. It ain't gonna happen, at least at Duramax rpm levels.

2. If "500 HP is plenty", and you're starting with a 454 and maybe going to a 496, aluminum heads, aftermarket cam, etc., why do you need a turbo?

A 454 with aftermarket heads and fairly mild tune should do 500 aftermarket-dyno horsies without problem. A 496 and "only" 500 horsies would mean you did something wrong.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've kicked around the idea of going from Whipple to turbo as it's easy to get 10# from a turbo and that would wipe the floor with what I have. The big question is at what RPM would it spool? I'd want full boogie by 2,000, but wonder if it would choke the top end? Probably not since it's done at 4500.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gm 8.0l version(l29 heads) was good for 430hp and 530 ftlb torque by 3k rpm. 7.4l should be not far off even with stock heads. Turbo adds a lot of complexity for not much gain if staying below 500hp level.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Gm 8.0l version(l29 heads) was good for 430hp and 530 ftlb torque by 3k rpm. 7.4l should be not far off even with stock heads. Turbo adds a lot of complexity for not much gain if staying below 500hp level.

I wouldn't say that. At least not at the 500hp level. Because if you want to keep that big hp/tq split this is a great way to do it. 500hp and 600+ tq is pretty tough to do NA with a max RPM of 4500. It all depends on how you want that 500hp delivered.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that. At least not at the 500hp level. Because if you want to keep that big hp/tq split this is a great way to do it. 500hp and 600+ tq is pretty tough to do NA with a max RPM of 4500. It all depends on how you want that 500hp delivered.
Making an assumptions that low to mid 400's would be enough. Adding turbo set up just to go from 400-450 mark to 500 to me does not seem to be worth the effort.