Slow Oil Pressure At Start-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gndd1997

Reaction score
So I finally cut the filter apart, and of course everything flies apart due to the spring pressure so I have no idea what caused the filter to fail...but like Great White said, "New one in and life is good again." ...words to live by when the 'common man' works with machines created by 'engineers who know better', or as I like to say 'Sh*t happens, but more often to those who try to fix their own Sh*t'

Albertcriss

Reaction score
Your problem could be caused by excessive wear on the gears in the oil pump or because of too much of a gap between your bearings and reciprocating parts in your engine. you didn't say how many miles are on the car, so I'm assuming that it has a few, the only other thing it could be is a bad sending unit or sensor for you oil gauge, or light.

gndd1997

Reaction score
Albertcriss, my first post indicated I had +/- 50,000 on the engine (actually closer to 45,000 after comparing mileages) so I'm most certain it would not be loose tolerances in the moving parts, and since the problem has gone away after changing the filter, I am quite certain that the old filter was the culprit! But thank you for your input as it has many valid points that could pertain to many other vehicles who's owners may read this post!!

88 4x4

Reaction score
My motor is vise versa, when i first crank it I have about 25 to 30 lb when idle, and after 10 or 15 minutes its only about 10 or 15 at idle?????

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to jack the thread but I have a problem that's closely related. I've noticed recently that when I'm idling at stop light or something my oil pressure will drop and then come back up and fluctuate a few times. When I take off it goes back up, any ideas? I checked oil level and it was good. I use castrol high mileage and purolator pure one oil filter.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
It is normal for oil pressure to drop with rpm and recover as it goes back up.

If you're getting down around 10 psi at hot idle, you engine is getting old and tired but still useable. 5-8 psi is a problem.

Also remember that oem gauges aren't the most accurate or reliable indicators out there. They should be more used for "trending" than the absolute number they display....

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll pay attention to the number later. I haven't noticed it until here recently. lol that's not good that it's a sign my engines worn out.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With it dropping will it affect the idle? Cus when it goes down it kinda sounds like it's slowly gonna die then it catches itself. Not sure if that makes sense.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Sounds like your low idle is causing the low oil pressure. The slower the engine turns, the slower the oil pump turns, and the lower oil pressure you have.