Slow Engine Warm up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have two trucks, both with 350 cu in Chev V8s. One is a 1969, with a 350 and Quadrajet; the other is my 98 Silverado with the 5700 Vortec. The 69 gets up to temperature really quickly, and I get a lot of welcome heat from the heater. The 98, even with new coolant and a new 195 degree OEM T'stat takes forever to heat up, and of course, there's no heat from the heater until the engine warms up. This problem was the same with the old t'stat, and the temp gauge behaves the same as it always did, going to a little below the halfway mark on the dial.

My question is whether other 5700 Vortec owners have the same problem, or whether there could be another issue with the cooling system to check out, such as incorrectly routed heater hoses, or ???

FYI, the coolant level does not go down, the coolant is the green stuff, and it is around 50/50 mix.

Any ideas out there? Besides drive the 69, I mean, which is sort of a good weather toy.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 69 probably has the heater hoses coming from the intake and one from the water pump correct... that allows it to heat up faster compared to the 98

The 98 will have one at the intake and the other in the radiator..... will not get hot till the tstat opens to get the hot coolant to the radiator first....

sent from what use to be a great country...

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are correct on the heater hose routing on the 69, and I haven't checked the 98. Wonder why they made that change? Anyone know if it is possible to change the 98 hose routing to the 69 pattern? I really like the fast warm up on the 69. It is almost like the 98 hoses allow the coolant to circulate, slowing down the engine warm up.

EDit: I just went out to check those hoses. Heater hose one goes from the intake manifold, right by the t'stat housing, to the heater. The other hose (return?) is connected to a metal tube, routed behind the alternator, then over the top of the water pump, and connected in to the water pump at the top left of the pump.

The entire 98 engine bay is a jungle compared to my nice simple 69, which does not have even power brakes or power steering.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Retarded ignition timing will give you more jacket water heat and higher EGT's.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that the engine in the 98 (5.7 vortec) has a cooling system that is plumbed in such a way that it allows circulation of the coolant when the T'stat is closed, and enough water flow occurs to slow down the warm up. of course, I could be entirely wrong, it's been known to happen...

Maybe I should drive the 69 (fast warmup) in the winter, and the 98 (good AC) in the summer?

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could get a block heater put in, my dad used to leave his plugged in all night and it would be nice and warm when he started.