Shock options with a 2" drop on a 2500 tow pig...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ocanuck

Reaction score
I have 2" drop shackles under my 2500 suburban, trying to figure out what I should do for shocks...

Extenders and Bilsteins 4600s? Belltech Steet Performance to match the fronts?

It's not abnormal for me to have my 100lb German Shepherd and an LS strapped down in the cargo area and a 7000lb car hauler on the back.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I like the idea of having matching shocks front & rear. Compatible compression & rebound characteristics. I'm partial to the B/T's.
As far as extenders, that's up to you. I ran 2" shackles on my '98 for a couple of years with stock length shocks. As long as they're not bottoming out they'll be fine. There is no real sweet spot in shocks, as such. They do not need equal travel distance either up or down. It's more important that they do not bottom out.
That said, if you are worried that with a load there is a possibilty of using up the shock's travel, there would be 2 options.
Purchase a 2" shorter shock. The angle of that would be slightly laid out when compared to stock. This makes the shock react in a 'softer' manner.
Or...Buy a stock length shock & use the extenders which would keep the shock at the factory angle.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like sewlow said, stock length shocks should be just fine for a 2" drop in the rear.