Advice/thoughts needed on lowering 1996 gmc 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trevorf

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I posted in another spot but thought this was maybe more appropriate...the shop that I went to emailed me a quote and suggestions....I really don't know if I want to go to a 3-4 drop...the truck is a daily driver...i put motorcycles in it too to go riding. Tired of the lift in it...it started out as just taking the lift out when I found out it was going to be a ton of work and started talking about lowering it while we were at it....I'll be painting the truck after the work is done.
The shop mentioned a 3-4 drop would be better because I would essentially have to replace springs etc making it a better ride...
The last thing I want is a truck too low and not practical...advice on lowering amount, wheels sizes...anything please, thanks

The email

Here is the quote for removing the body lift and installing a lowering kit on your 98 Chev 2500 2 wheel drive (6 lug)

Removing the body lift is roughly 14 to 16 hrs. Its gonna be a bit of a nightmare because its been in there for a really long time (2006ish) so I'm sure the bolts won't come out easily, We will also have to remove the brackets that moved the front and rear bumpers, fuel line extensions, the rad shroud extensions, steering shaft extensions, and E-brake relocation brackets.

basically every thing in the instructions but in reverse
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/manuals/body-lift-kits/113.pdf

Then to complete the look of the kit we will install a 3-4 lowering kit from Beltech

https://www.belltech.com/belltech-front-and-rear-complete-kit-w-street-performance-shocks-700sp.html
$1695.00 for the kit
8hrs at $125 p/hr to install the kit
$149.00 for a wheel alignment.

The kit allows for stock tire size to fit, (I called my supplier to confirm) it will fill the wheel wells alot nicer.
so the stock tire size is 245/75r16
all of these tires have white letters
General Grabber ATX $329 each
Firestone Destination XT $337 each
Yokohama Geolandar AT g015 $344 each
Hankook Dynapro at2 $325 each

If I had to pick between these choices it would be the General Grabber ATX. Let me know what you want to do

My truck

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is just my own biased opinion and neither of my trucks are lifted/lowered so take this for what it's worth (which is probably not much). Personally I like the stock ride height of these trucks, and I like the 2" rake they all have from the factory.

That said... If this were my truck and I were thinking of doing what you're doing, I would consider either just removing the body lift or doing a 2/2" drop instead of a 3/4". A 2/2" would maintain the factory rake so the truck wouldn't squat if you had some weight in the bed, could be done cheaper than the 3/4, and wouldn't put you so close to the bump stops in the rear. I've read that some other users have had issues with that last one when dropping the rear 4" or more without a C-notch.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a truck on 3/4 drop and in my opinion it is perfectly fine as a daily, work truck. It’s not low enough to ever be a problem unless you are off-roading. I have qa1 coil overs in the front and beltech hangers and shackles in the rear. If you do a 4” drop I do highly recommend a c-notch. I don’t have one on my truck and the travel is severely limited. It is useable without a notch but larger bumps are rough.
You must be registered for see images attach

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I vote for removing the body lift, then driving it at the stock height. It's nice to be able to run over small roadkill etc...

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, as someone who had a lifted 2500 6 lug 2wd and is going to a lowered truck, I'll tell you this - decide what you intend to do with the truck long term before spending a dime.

I lifted my truck because the parts were cheap and I got a crazy good deal on wheels and tires. I quickly realized that, while it looked cool, the lifted life wasn't for me. Was a pain in the ass to use the truck like a truck, a pain loading and unloading it, and I'm more of a performance oriented guy so driving it wasn't really all that fun. I will admit however, it looked awesome and I got compliments every time it left the driveway.

I'm now in the process of converting the truck from a long box to a short box due to the frame rust issues I found, and the truck is getting a 5/7 static drop. This truck is going to be nothing but a fun machine and a weekend cruiser, so the large drop is OK. I wouldn't drop it that far if I had any intentions of ever using it as a working truck more than once in a while going forward.

Decide what you want out of it, whether it's going to be a fun car, a worker, a daily, etc. Work your decision from there.

Trevorf

Reaction score
Well, as someone who had a lifted 2500 6 lug 2wd and is going to a lowered truck, I'll tell you this - decide what you intend to do with the truck long term before spending a dime.

I lifted my truck because the parts were cheap and I got a crazy good deal on wheels and tires. I quickly realized that, while it looked cool, the lifted life wasn't for me. Was a pain in the ass to use the truck like a truck, a pain loading and unloading it, and I'm more of a performance oriented guy so driving it wasn't really all that fun. I will admit however, it looked awesome and I got compliments every time it left the driveway.

I'm now in the process of converting the truck from a long box to a short box due to the frame rust issues I found, and the truck is getting a 5/7 static drop. This truck is going to be nothing but a fun machine and a weekend cruiser, so the large drop is OK. I wouldn't drop it that far if I had any intentions of ever using it as a working truck more than once in a while going forward.

Decide what you want out of it, whether it's going to be a fun car, a worker, a daily, etc. Work your decision from there.
Hi...excellent points! Thanks....I use my truck mostly for going to work....but on occasion will "rescue" a street motorcycle and I plan on driving it to Moab from Vancouver in May with two dual sport bikes....about 1000lbs.
On occasion I do dump runs with yard waste from my property.
I'm the same with you on my truck being lifted, looks cool but not practical.
I guess my question is....will a 3-4 drop impede the drivability and usability for what I use it for?
Maybe just go to a 2-4 drop?
Maybe no drop at all?
Cheers everyone and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out

Trevor

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess my question is....will a 3-4 drop impede the drivability and usability for what I use it for?
Maybe just go to a 2-4 drop?
Maybe no drop at all?

As I mentioned earlier, dropping the rear 4" or more without a C-notch will put you pretty close to the bump stops. If you really want to go that low in the rear I'd add a C-notch to the plan, which involves cutting and welding on the frame. Part of the reason I suggested a 2/2".